AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords will not work?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
On Google Adwords, nearly every single keyword in my Ad Groups are saying "One of your other ads is already showing this keyword." So I deleted the keywords that were the same in the other Ad Groups but it still says "One of your other ads is already showing this keyword."

I don't get this. It's very frustrating.

This is all in one Campaign with eight Ad Groups.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords will not work?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post. To answer your "keywords will not work" question: Although you have deleted the duplicate keywords from your campaign, Adwords still keeps track of all the keywords including deleted ones. My suggestion is to re-input the deleted keywords into the campaign keyword list. Instead of deleting them, pause each duplicate keyword. This should prevent you from receiving that message in your Ad Groups. For future reference, you should pause keywords that you find have low CTR or quality score. You can always go back to experiment with them (i.e. using different keyword match) to incease the CTR or QS.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So re-input the keywords into one of the Ad Groups then pause them?

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Paul,

Yes that is one option. Or as Ivan suggested on his thread link, you can also use specific negative keywords at the ad group level to exclude the matches from the working Ad groups. Either method should fix the problem.

There's also a great article on How similar keywords match to search terms in our Help section page that may be helpful with your question. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry to keep being a bother, but it didn't work still. I reput the similar keywords and even paused them, but it still says "It won't show due to other ads". I paused every keyword that is similar and waited days to see if it would change.

It didn't change though.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Here's something else you can try: go to tools & analysis and click "Ad preview and diagnosis". Type in the keyword that's giving problems, and it will generally tell you which are the conflicting keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I gave it a try but it just said,

"Your ad isn't showing for this keyword right now. There are a number of reasons why this happens."

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Mm, that doesn't help us much. It's a bit difficult to tell from here, especially when the diagnosis tool is indicating there's several problems at play here. I don't use it much so I'm not sure what it can tell you, but you could also give the keyword diagnosis in the keyword tab (under details) a go.

You might need to take a very good look at your account, for example, are your campaigns and ad groups all targeting a distinct set of keywords (product, service, or other theme)? Also, you may want to get rid of some broad match keywords, and experiment with more refined ones.

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your patience. Since the suggestions from the community has not been able to resolve your problem, I've asked an Adwords Support team member to follow-up with you. You should expect to be contacted by them shortly.