AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords type combination

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear all,

I am interested in the option of broad match modifier and I would like to know if I can combine it with exact match.

I need to add a variable to my list of keywords in each ad group.

So imagine that I have red shoes heels and I want to add the brand name “Vanity”

Can I do “vanity” +red +shoes ?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author floriana
September 2015

Re: Keywords type combination

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unluckily this isn't possible broad match modifier works only with broad match (without the " "). What is more, you can't build your keywords in this way (keyword:"vanity" +red +shoes), because the type of match works on the whole keyword, not a phrase in it. You can go with one or more of these:

[vanity red shoes] (exact match)

"vanity red shoes" (phrase match)

vanity +red +shoes (broad match with modifier on each phrase except vanity)

+vanity + red +shoes (broad match with modifier on each phrase)

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It is highly recommended to put all of them in one ad group, as they are very close related.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unluckily this isn't possible broad match modifier works only with broad match (without the " "). What is more, you can't build your keywords in this way (keyword:"vanity" +red +shoes), because the type of match works on the whole keyword, not a phrase in it. You can go with one or more of these:

[vanity red shoes] (exact match)

"vanity red shoes" (phrase match)

vanity +red +shoes (broad match with modifier on each phrase except vanity)

+vanity + red +shoes (broad match with modifier on each phrase)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi floriana,

In addition to above useful thoughts, I would like to add that now your phrase and exact matches will have broader reach as per Google update in May. The close variants of your phrase and exact matches will be eligible to show your ad if you opt to do so. These advanced matching options are enabled by default under the campaign settings>>Advanced Settings>>Keyword matching options. Look at this for details.

You can look at the search terms report and you will find the match type written as exact(close variant) or phrase(close variant). This will help you understand more and assist in better account optimization.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

thank you Thekuna,

I have one more question.

If the brand name is Vanity of Tree and I want for this to use the modifier,should I do like this:

+vanity +of +tree red shoes

?

thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually, I would go for:

+vanity of +tree +red +shoes

Because spelling mistakes are likely to be left out in two character phrases, while they can often appear in a phrase like shoes (the second mostly because of people trying to type the word too fast). If this is a popular keyword, I recommend adding to your ad group a few match variations:

vanity of tree red shoes

[vanity of tree red shoes]

And monitor their performance. This will allow you later to fine tune your campaign and improve its efficiency.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Having all of these 3
vanity of tree red shoes
[vanity of tree red shoes]

in each ad group won t damage me cos they won t bet against each otehrs right?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It is highly recommended to put all of them in one ad group, as they are very close related.