AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords triggering ads in different ad group

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My keywords for a specific ad group are triggering ads from a different adgroup. Quality score is high and bids are high.

How can i prevent this?

Thanks

4 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Keywords triggering ads in different ad group

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You can insert exact match negative keywords into the adgroup that is being served to try to steer back to the correct adgroup.

i.e. you have to groups
1 light blue shoes
2 dark blue shoes

group 1 is being served for 'dark blue shoes' then add an exact match negative -[dark blue shoes] to the light blue shoes group 1.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

ok so you put a negative -[buff day spa gift vouchers] negative in the spa gift vouchers group

and

a negative -[spa gift vouchers] in the buff day spa gift vouchers group?

The negative keywords need to be inserted into the adgroup level.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi nat123,

Could you provide some examples please?  Could you also include match types of these keywords in question?

Search queries are matched to keywords with only trigger ads from that exact ad group.  My guess would be that match types are potentially the cause of the confusion.

With some reorganizing, I think you'll have no trouble getting this straightened out.

Thanks,

Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

When several keywords match a search query

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

hello nat123;

You have similar keywords compete against each other,

The following article in the help center explains what happens when several keywords match a search query.,

I also include, an earlier discussion on the same topic, that could be helpful.

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/When-several-keywords-match-a-search-query/td-p/69...

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You can insert exact match negative keywords into the adgroup that is being served to try to steer back to the correct adgroup.

i.e. you have to groups
1 light blue shoes
2 dark blue shoes

group 1 is being served for 'dark blue shoes' then add an exact match negative -[dark blue shoes] to the light blue shoes group 1.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Kim's posted a very useful piece of advice. As an addition I'd note that I would first research which Search Query in fact triggered the ad copy in question to show.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Good point Lakatos. To see what adgroup is serving (without having to do actual searches) is to use the Diagnose Keywords tool. Go to KEYWORDS tab and then find the More Options button and then Diagnose Keywords - run the tool and it will let you know if your keywords are being served in other adgroups and what adgroups are doing the serving.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for all your help.

I have now inserted some negative keywords and they don't seem to be working.

my 2 keywords are both broad 

1) buff day spa gift vouchers

2)) spa gift vouchers

when i type in buff day spa gift vouchers it is triggering 'spa gift voucher' which is in the wrong ad group?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

ok so you put a negative -[buff day spa gift vouchers] negative in the spa gift vouchers group

and

a negative -[spa gift vouchers] in the buff day spa gift vouchers group?

The negative keywords need to be inserted into the adgroup level.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you , I will try that and let you know.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Classic cross pollination of keywords best way to deal with it is through negatives. Use the Search Query Report and ad diagnostic tool to find out what keywords are picking up other terms.

Use negatives at adgroup level to stop the wrong advert appearing.

Give it a go.