AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords match type options

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have added a keyword in all three match types in a single ad group:

[buy flowers]
"buy flowers"
+buy +flowers

And all three of them have same Max. CPC, for e.g. $2

Now my question is will these three keywords compete against each other at the time of auction to show ads, thereby resulting in increased CPC(s)?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arun Jha
September 2016

Re: Keywords match type options

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

*** For The Record ***

Archit is correct that I used the expressions *most relevant* in my above answer. I should have used *most appropriate*. When the 3 similar keywords are in the same ad group as in the original question, Google uses the following statement:

"Within an ad group, you might have several similar keywords that match a search. In this situation, the AdWords system uses a set of preferences to determine which of your keywords to use. " The preferences are listed on this help page:

*** How similar keywords match to search terms ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Basically a similar list of preferences is applicable to choose the most appropriate keyword to participate in an auction, when it is your account that includes several similar keywords that match a particular search query.

Best,
Lakatos

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Arun Jha

Yes, they will compete with each other in certain scenarios, but not always.  The fact that they have the potential to compete does not necessarily mean you'll have increased cpcs.   The Adwords system will pick the one that is the most relevant to the query.

Generally, when you break a keyword phrase out into different match types, the purpose is to vary bids.  For example, you might want to bid $2 on the exact, $1.50 on the phrase, and $1.00 on the broad match modified.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Arun Jha,

I would recommend starting with the keyword on Exact Match only. Your keywords won't compete against each other since they're in the same Adgroup but having the keyword on Phrase Match is unnecessary with the keyword also on Broad Match Modified. 

I found this chart helpful in understanding match types:

adwords-match-types.jpg

Here's some information about match types: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Allie

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lakatos,

It means that AdWords system will pick the keywords based on the relevancy between keywords and user's search query instead of highest ad rank. so, if we have same keywords in different match type will never compete against each other so never cause to increase in cpc. Right?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Arun,

Following @Lakatos, keywords in the same campaign don't compete with each other. So, there will be no impact on the CPC of these keywords.
As mentioned by Lakatos the most relevant keyword with the user query will trigger the ad.
Ad rank will come into action during the real time auction with other competitors.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arun Jha
September 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

*** For The Record ***

Archit is correct that I used the expressions *most relevant* in my above answer. I should have used *most appropriate*. When the 3 similar keywords are in the same ad group as in the original question, Google uses the following statement:

"Within an ad group, you might have several similar keywords that match a search. In this situation, the AdWords system uses a set of preferences to determine which of your keywords to use. " The preferences are listed on this help page:

*** How similar keywords match to search terms ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Basically a similar list of preferences is applicable to choose the most appropriate keyword to participate in an auction, when it is your account that includes several similar keywords that match a particular search query.

Best,
Lakatos

Keywords match type options

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hello

I have a specific theme, satellite Internet, setting up soft the weather through the operator Eumetsat how to choose the right words for my website www.omicom.info