AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords in Dynamic Search Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am confused when using DSA in AdWords, there are 2 types of Campaigns (search network) that I can create in order to use DSA:
  • "Dynamic Search Ads" Campaign
in this type of Campaign, I can create keywords (yes, keywords, not negative keywords), but looks like keywords is useless (let me know if I was wrong), then why AdWords allow us to create keywords in DSA as I think one of the advantage of DSA is we don't need to create keywords...

• "All features" Campaign
in this type of Campaign, I can create everything, including keywords and text ads, then the question is how this works when both DSA ads and text ads existing in this Campaign (even in the same adgroup)? my understanding is keywords will trigger text ads but won't trigger DSA ads, while auto targets will trigger DSA ads but won't trigger text ads. is my understanding correct? If so why allow us to create both text ad and DSA ad in same adgroup which is very confusing.

thanks for your help!
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords in Dynamic Search Ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Biao,

Yes we don't add keyword in DSA campaigns. As it's not possible to add all keywords variations in search campaign and we do not want to miss on any valuable traffic - We prefer to create DSA campaign. If the keywords in exact match is added in search campaign then ad from DSA campaign will not trigger - Ad will trigger from search campaign only. DSA helps targeting all valuable traffic which we miss.

Instead of keywords we create auto target in DSA campaign such as categories, webpages, page title, page url, content etc. We can add exclusions and negative keywords in DSA campaigns to manage effectively.

We create two different campaigns one is targeted to DSA and another one is Search campaign. I don't understand when you say same adgroup? Few things to keep in mind when working on DSA and Search Campaign. It is advisable to add all negative keywords that you are using for your search campaign as those are the queries which are not relevant for you. You can read article by one of TC:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Save-Time-with-Dynamic-Search-Ads/ba-p/512278

Let us know if you have more doubts.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot, Neha. actually I know all the basic knowledge about DSA, and have created DSA campaigns, I just got confused why AdWords allow us to input keywords in DSA Campaign while the keywords are actually useless or maybe I was wrong (if I was wrong, then I want to know what's the value of keywords in DSA).

so could you help me to understand how keywords work in DSA Campaign? or help to confirm that keywords are useless in DSA (then I won't get confused). thanks!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Biao,

In DSA, keywords are automatically generated based on the content of your landing page.
And based on the user query, if it matches near the content of the Landing page, your ad will be shown,

Thats why it is recommended to work on negative keyword to stop irrelevant traffic , coz negative keyword work same as that of search campaigns.

More about DSA, you can read here:-
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471185?hl=en

Regards,
Manish

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Biao,

Manish has provided you correct info. Positive keywords doesn't play role in DSA campaigns. You do not need to add keywords in your campaign as search query are matched with the content of your landing page. And show dynamically generated headline and landing page.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Neha and Manish. I think my 1st question got partially answered: Positive keywords doesn't play role in DSA campaigns (thanks for confirm), actually that’s why I got confused, if positive keywords is meaningless in DSA Campaign, why AdWords allow me to create positive keywords in DSA Campaign? This makes me think positive keywords may have some special functionalities in DSA Campaign (but actually not).

My 2nd question not got answered which should be different from 1st question: in “all features” Campaign, I can create everything, including keywords and text ads, for example, I created Ad1(DSA Ad), Ad2(text ad), auto target1 and keyword1 in the same adgroup, then the question is how this works as both DSA ads and text ads existing in the same adgroup? my understanding is keyword1 will trigger Ad2 but won't trigger Ad1, while auto target1 will trigger Ad1 but won't trigger Ad2. is my understanding correct? If so why allow us to create both text ad and DSA ad in same adgroup which is very confusing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

could some one help to answer my questions? I know how DSA works (dynamically generate keywords and do matching with page content), that's why I got confused by that "mixed mode (both keywords and DSA can be created at the same time)".

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Biao,

I am little confuse with the question. What I understand is that you are using search ad and dynamic search ad in same adgroup. I don't usually prefer that, I prefers to have separate campaign all together for both type of campaign as it is easy for me to optimize campaigns, set bids etc.

When you are running both DSA and Search ads, If user's search query exactly matches a keyword from your search campaign, search ad will be served instead of DSA ad.

Hope this answers.

Thanks

Neha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks Neha for the optimization suggestion, but here I just want to understand why both positive keywords/text ad and DSA ad can co-existing in the same adgroup. My logic is: if AdWords allow me to do it (create both text ad and DSA ad in the same adgroup), there must be some benefit for customers, otherwise AdWords should disable it as it will waste customer's time and cause confusing.

let me summarize the answers so far, could you help to double check whether my understanding is correct? thank you very much!

1. in "Dynamic Search Ads" Campaign, customers can create keywords (can't create text ad), but positive keywords doesn't play role in DSA campaigns. the reason why Adwords allow customers to create positive keywords (which is useless) is unknown.

2. in "All features" Campaign, customers can create keywords, text ad, DSA ad, auto target in the same adgroup (although this is not recommended, customers should create separated Campaigns for DSA and regular search Campaign). in such case, both text ad and DSA ad have chance to be shown, If query exactly matches a keyword or text ad has higher rank score (assume text ad win the auction), then text ad will be shown, otherwise DSA ad will be shown. is it correct?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

anyone can help to confirm? thanks!