AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords for Google Contextual Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, any answer or explanation on the below question will be highly appreciated.

Now we are working on a display network campaign through keywords targeting, and currently we are using some specific long key phrases (within the 80 character limit set by Google) to target our potential customers.

Unfortunately, up to now, we still did not get any impression from that. Google suggested us to reduce our key phrases to only 2 to 3 words, but we are afraid that if we use those general keywords, we will get a lot of useless clicks from those customers who are not our target.

Can anyone tell me what I should do now, or if reducing the key phrases length down to 3 words, would that help improve our ads performance?

thanks in advance for any help.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Keywords for Google Contextual Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Gwen-Zhu,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Did you by chance try the Contextual Targeting Tool to identify the right set of keywords for your Google Display Network Campaign? If not, I would strongly recommend it.

There has been lot happening around with GDN and many new things have been introduced in shorter period of time.

Try identifying the short tail keywords and group them tightly based on their themes. 

You need to give sometime to this Network to start getting the results because the bahavior of audiences is different here. 

You can also refer to this article for more details.

Let  us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Gwen-Zhu; welcome;

I agree with Pankaj and (Google ... Smiley Happy) on this.

With the new display network tab in place where you can bid on given KWs Google has brought to a new level. One or two keywords can figure a "match" to the site's content (Hence you can bid on them). If you go with a long tail KWs you are too specific and might lose impressions ( what you are, actually, experiencing)

In order to avoid going too broad ( having your ads appear in irrelevant sites), I recommend using also placements, together with contextual targeting

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Pankaj and Moshe,

Thanks very much for your kind help.

Yes, i have tried the contextual targeting tool and also the placement targeting to better target on our potential customers.

Since Google once mentioned we need to use some descriptive keywords or phrases to better match the content or theme in the display network site, so we are mainly following the guidelines.

But since Google also mentioned the digit limit for the keyword/ phrase is 80 digits and not more than 10 words, so we just tried to find some long descriptive keywords, unfortunately we did not get impression from it yet.

Google asked us to change the keyword into two or three keywords, but we just want to know if we change the current keywords into two or three words, would that make any difference to our Adwords performance?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Warm regards/ Gwen Zhu

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again Gwen-Zhu;

Again : no one can tell what would be the effects of changing keywords in a specific campaign, since many parameters are involved. However, there is a "common practice". As google advised you (as my advice Smiley Happy): on the display network you don't need that many keywords, and you don't need long tail keywords

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’