AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords - better to combine or separate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone, 

My boss recently had the idea that we were using too many keywords (which I agreed with) so we have drastically cut them down. However I would like some advice on the best way to use them...

We currently have:

• Electrical
  • Pressure
  • Temperature
  • Calibrator

The idea being that if someone searched for "electrical calibrator" then adwords would show our ad as it had 2 of our keywords. However, the first 3 keywords (electrical, pressure and temperature) are all "rarely shown due to low quality score"... so this plan isn't really working very well either!

So my question is, would it be better to combine our keywords slightly and have "electrical calibrator", "Pressure Calibrator", "Temperature Calibrator", instead of having them separately as we do now.

It was felt that we had too many keywords so our budget was being spread too thinly across them all, so we cut them down in order to be able to spend more per keyword.

Thanks in advance...

Vici

4 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ViciC
September 2015

Re: Keywords - better to combine or separate?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Vici,

Honestly in my opinion, single word keywords are not going to give you enough of the relevant traffic and business, which you can get from 2 or 3 word keywords often sometimes referred to as long-tail keywords.

So your idea to combine them seems perfect to me rather than just bidding on single word keyword.

I would also suggest you to get more ideas of long keywords out of the keyword tool and create the best keyword list to achieve your targets. Try entering your website inside the keyword tool for more options and create a relevant targeted keyword list. All that matters here is the quality and not the quantity. Read this reference for more details.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Vici,

In addition to Pankaj's great advice, I would also suggest you can look into search term and can get idea from there what users are typing in google search engine to find out your product/services. Accordingly you can build your keywords lists. 

I am also not in favour of adding single word keyword in campaign as it brings lot of irrelevant traffic.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

Neha 

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

And I will join my two colleagues,  Pankaj and Neha, saying that too short keywords result in many impressions,  that do not covert or bring bad leads. Focus  and relevancy  are the key for a good Adwords campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Vici,

Honestly in my opinion, single word keywords are not going to give you enough of the relevant traffic and business, which you can get from 2 or 3 word keywords often sometimes referred to as long-tail keywords.

So your idea to combine them seems perfect to me rather than just bidding on single word keyword.

I would also suggest you to get more ideas of long keywords out of the keyword tool and create the best keyword list to achieve your targets. Try entering your website inside the keyword tool for more options and create a relevant targeted keyword list. All that matters here is the quality and not the quantity. Read this reference for more details.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Vici,

In addition to Pankaj's great advice, I would also suggest you can look into search term and can get idea from there what users are typing in google search engine to find out your product/services. Accordingly you can build your keywords lists. 

I am also not in favour of adding single word keyword in campaign as it brings lot of irrelevant traffic.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

Neha 

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many Thanks Pankaj Smiley Happy I will certainly try entering our web pages into the keyword tool - I did not even realise that you could do it based on a web page itself, only words Smiley Embarassed but now looking at the tool it is obvious that you can do this lol. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Neha,

I had tried the search term but at that time we had too many keywords (i think over 200) so it became an impossible task. Once I have met with my boss and discussed the fact that single word keywords are simply not working and built up a small list of quality keywords we will try the search term again. 

Many Thanks Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

And I will join my two colleagues,  Pankaj and Neha, saying that too short keywords result in many impressions,  that do not covert or bring bad leads. Focus  and relevancy  are the key for a good Adwords campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many Thanks Moshe Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Vici,

I know your quesiton has been answered, but I just want to point out one thing. Keywords each stand alone. They do not work in combination. The logic is OR rather than AND. When an SERP is created, the system looks at each of your keywords individually and calculates a QS for each of them. It then picks the one with the highest ad rank to enter into the auction.

I gather you sell "electrical pressure temperature calibrators" from your list of keywords. I'm guessing these are boad match terms. So your ad will show for queries like "electrical tape", "electric company", "electric services", etc. And that's just the first keyword on the list. I almost never use broad match anymore.

I would start with:

+electrical +pressure +temperature + calibrator

"electrical pressure temperature calibrator"

[electrical pressure temperature calibrator

Also, study the organic search queries that lead to your site and consider adding them as keywords. Run your search terms report often and look for keywords to add as phrase, exact or negative match.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Pete has the talent to transform the complex topic of ad-rank and "which keyword will trigger my ad, if several keywords match the search query " into a simple clear explanation! Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi ViciC

I would definitely use 'specific' phrases to assure the keywords reflects the service/product offered.

For example, its not wise to use 'business' as a keyword if you offer 'business application services'.

'Business' on its own is a very generic term and more than likely highly competitive. 

Biggest thing I encourage is to set up the Conversion Tracking Code to find out what keywords convert best. 

Once you can validate this I would duplicate them into [exact match] or +broad +match +modified.

This ensures you are attracting the qualified traffic and will subsequently increase your Click Through Rate and Quality Score.

For your particular situation I would use definitely try to avoid using broad match on its own as it can attract a lot of irrelevant traffic and you would have to constantly monitor your Search Query Reports. 

I hope this helps.