AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords being too broad

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Hi,

I have two campaigns running at the moment, one of which is doing great! The other, not so great.
The other campaign is for a business that produces cables. Cables in mass quantities for submarines, medical equipment, generators and so on... we can create specific cables, even though we tend not to because it wouldn't be cost effective.
I downloaded my search terms report from dates : All Time.
After going through the search terms, I can see my Ad is being triggered for keywords such as "Jaguar E Type Wiring Harness" and like I said above, we could produce this item but the staffing costs needed for the research of lengths and connectors for this item would be too expensive at the end for the customer.

The problem I face is, I'd like to stop my ad from showing when a customer types into google "(Car make & Model).............." or "(Motorbike Make & Model)............." but for me to go through and add negative key words for every car and motorbike make and model out there, would just be outrageous.

Can any of you guys think of a way?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords being too broad

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

Welcome to the community.

Are the makes generally included in the search terms or are there sometimes just model names? I was thinking that if the make is commonly included then generating a list of negative broad match keywords for the makes would be easy enough in order to reduce a significant amount of these search terms that you don't want. Simply find a list such as this one and paste it into AdWords Editor as broad match negatives.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable

Hi ScottyD,

Thanks for your reply, I like your idea of finding a list and copying it. It could save me a lot of time.
To answer your question, it varies. One search could have "Ford Focus Wiring Harness" Which is make & model but then another search may just have "Porsche Wiring Harness" Which is just make. To then make it more difficult I have another search that is "Clio Wire Looms" which hasn't a make, it's just the model Renault Clio.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I would personally find a complete list of all makes and then try to find the most popular models also. Even if it takes up to an hour to complete, you are going to save a lot of budget for more relevant terms in the future.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable

Thanks again ScottyD,

I'm going to spend time looking for car/motorbike makes & models in the UK and put those in as negative keywords.