AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords and misspellings

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Is it possible to have a key word for a common misspelling, BUT when it's displayed in the ad, have the misspelled word substituted for the correctly spelled version?

Yes, I do see the potential for abuse and misuse, so I'm supposing that this ability is not available.  But, just thought that I'd ask...

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

One idea

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Key_West_Expres,

I assume you're referring to ads using Dynamic Keyword Insertion which will insert the matched keyword so in your case it would be the misspelling. I'm not aware of any way to change that. You could explore using misspellings in a separate adgroup and rely on correct word usage/spelling in your ads (static) but you could run into QS & relevancy issues.

FWIW - This is a recent discussion about misspellings and another about DKI usage (see Petebardo's advise).

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Key_West_Expres
September 2015

Hi,   I think Tom is right: there's no way to make this w...

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi,

I think Tom is right: there's no way to make this work with misspelled keywords.

One other thing you could try is to put only the correctly spelled keywords into your AdGroup and make them use broad match.  That will match misspelled queries but still substitute the properly spelled keyword from your AdGroup.  The downside is that the matches might be too broad.  (A lot of advertisers feel that way; I have no personal experience with it.)  You can address that by using negative keywords to some extent.

Laura

AdWords Engineer (but not working on DKI or broad match)

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

One idea

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Key_West_Expres,

I assume you're referring to ads using Dynamic Keyword Insertion which will insert the matched keyword so in your case it would be the misspelling. I'm not aware of any way to change that. You could explore using misspellings in a separate adgroup and rely on correct word usage/spelling in your ads (static) but you could run into QS & relevancy issues.

FWIW - This is a recent discussion about misspellings and another about DKI usage (see Petebardo's advise).

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Key_West_Expres
September 2015

Hi,   I think Tom is right: there's no way to make this w...

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi,

I think Tom is right: there's no way to make this work with misspelled keywords.

One other thing you could try is to put only the correctly spelled keywords into your AdGroup and make them use broad match.  That will match misspelled queries but still substitute the properly spelled keyword from your AdGroup.  The downside is that the matches might be too broad.  (A lot of advertisers feel that way; I have no personal experience with it.)  You can address that by using negative keywords to some extent.

Laura

AdWords Engineer (but not working on DKI or broad match)

Re: Keywords and misspellings

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you everyone for your reply's and links..  It helped!!