AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords and audiences

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In search campaigns or search and display campaigns, when I use keywords with an audience for targeting, which is the target ? Is it the intersection of keywords and audience or it it the union of keywords and audience ?
On my campaign, I can see less clicks on my audience than my keywords, which would mean that it is the union.
Regards,

Perrine

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Perrine B
September 2015

Re: Keywords and audiences

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Perrine,

The option is definitely there for Search Campaigns, I'm looking at it right now Smiley Happy  Search Campaigns can only use Remarketing lists, but when you set one up, at the bottom of the list picking dialogue there are two radio buttons, one for Bid only, one for Target and Bid.

bidonly.png

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Perrine, it depends upon the targeting setting for the audience.

If Keywords exist, they are always used as a target, but with audiences you have the option for them to be "Bid only" or "Target and bid".  In your terminology, "Bid only" would be the union, while "Target & bid" would be the intersection.

If you're seeing more clicks on your Keywords than the audience, as you suggest, this likely means your audience target is set to "Bid only".

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for quick response !
I know the option "Bid only"/"target and bid". However, I can see this option only on display campaigns. I do not see it on search campaigns or on search and display campaigns.
Can you precise where is this option for search campaigns/search and display campaigns ?
Perrine
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Perrine B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Perrine,

The option is definitely there for Search Campaigns, I'm looking at it right now Smiley Happy  Search Campaigns can only use Remarketing lists, but when you set one up, at the bottom of the list picking dialogue there are two radio buttons, one for Bid only, one for Target and Bid.

bidonly.png

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I can see it now. Sorry :-) That's clear now.
Perrine