AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords: From the really broad ($$$$$) to the really narrow (no clicks!)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Folks,

At the day job, we develop Web sites (and cms tools) for private schools.  

When trying to surface good, but modestly priced keywords, the Keyword Tool shows the following:

1. "web development for private schools"  no CPC estimate (and no impressions or clicks appear in Traffic Estimator for this phrase), but, ...

2. "web development" approximate cpc = $8.72

3. "private schools"  approximate cpc = $3.04

Just wondering if I should go ahead and add the phrase "web development for private schools."  Also, we can add "web development" and "private schools" and LOAD UP on negative keywords to avoid clicks for totally irrelevant searches/searchers, to get the most out of our investment, but I'm just wondering if there is a more cost effective way to manage keywords.  Any help out there?

THANKS yet again, Chris 

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: phrase match keywords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Chris;

Yes - I would - in "phrase match". Also, have you considered: "web development schools", "web development education"..

But, aside from these, you should have a comprehensive list of KWs that represent the service you are selling (e.g "saas education", "saas school", "CRM school".... etc,)

For these "phrase match", I would check the new option of a "phrase and close variants of that phrase", to cover / include plurals and closed variants (e.g misspellings)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris

I´d also suggest you use modified broad match and a few more keyword combinations to reach your target group.
For example:
+website +private +school
+software +private +school
+web +cms +school

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: "phrase match " and close variants of that phrase vs. Broad match modifier

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello again Chris;

I did not want to raise broad match modifier in my first answer because I felt that it could confuse. (I have noticed that too much information might confuse users, so lately I have started to keep it "simple and short"... Smiley Surprised)

Anyway, since David brought this option up, I'd like to mention that with the new "phrase match" option of "phrase and close variants of that phrase", the difference between broad match modifier and phrase match is not that meaningful.

The reason is that, broad modifier covers "close variants include misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemming... while, as said, phrase match with close variants, covers plurals and misspelling. In your campaign, the only dissimilarity is the addition of ing form (if applicable at all....)

So you have both match types to choose ; Both would work fine in your case / campaign.

Keep us posted on your progress.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Keywords vs. negative keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi again Chris;

"web development" as a KW is too broad for your niche business, as "private school". (You will get your ad competing with all private schools trying to attract new students...)

If you try to load up negative KWs (for these KWs), you'll end up with countless number of negative KWs. I don't like my campaign having too many negative KWs. Negative KWs - in my view - need to refine the campaign, not to replace a well crafted list of "regular" keywords (with the proper match type).

My thoughts....

-Moshe

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Moshe,

So, should I go ahead and add the phrase "web development for private schools?"

I understand the issues with "web development" and "private schools" as well as the problem with lots of keywords.

THANK YOU, Chris

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Lots of negative keywords, I mean.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Chris;

Yes - I would - in "phrase match". Also, have you considered: "web development schools", "web development education"..

But, aside from these, you should have a comprehensive list of KWs that represent the service you are selling (e.g "saas education", "saas school", "CRM school".... etc,)

For these "phrase match", I would check the new option of a "phrase and close variants of that phrase", to cover / include plurals and closed variants (e.g misspellings)

-Moshe

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Moshe. I really appreciate the support I get from AdWords Community members. Chris
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris

I´d also suggest you use modified broad match and a few more keyword combinations to reach your target group.
For example:
+website +private +school
+software +private +school
+web +cms +school

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks David. I was unaware of this capability and I am reading about it now. It's a great idea for my campaigns. Chris
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: "phrase match " and close variants of that phrase vs. Broad match modifier

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello again Chris;

I did not want to raise broad match modifier in my first answer because I felt that it could confuse. (I have noticed that too much information might confuse users, so lately I have started to keep it "simple and short"... Smiley Surprised)

Anyway, since David brought this option up, I'd like to mention that with the new "phrase match" option of "phrase and close variants of that phrase", the difference between broad match modifier and phrase match is not that meaningful.

The reason is that, broad modifier covers "close variants include misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemming... while, as said, phrase match with close variants, covers plurals and misspelling. In your campaign, the only dissimilarity is the addition of ing form (if applicable at all....)

So you have both match types to choose ; Both would work fine in your case / campaign.

Keep us posted on your progress.

-Moshe