AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords Disappeared!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I had one enabled campaign and several ad groups, each using a different set of keywords. I had one disabled campaign that I was working on for another purpose. When I left it last night, each ad had a different combination of keywords. However, when I checked it this morning, all ads had only ONE keyword, which was the same across all ads.

I forget which ad had which combination, so I dumped all of my keywords into all of the ads.

Ideas?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Keywords Disappeared!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

billy_s I think you are confused between ad and adgroup. In an Ad group there can be multiple ads sharing same keywords. Google will rotate the ads and show the ad more often which get more clicks.

Have a look at Ad groups here.

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

I am confused here - remember the account structure:

Account

campaign(s)

adgroup(s)

keyword(s)

ad(s)

You can use a KW term as part of your ad text or headline, but the KW's are in the adgroup, not the ad.

Did you have multiple kw's in all your adgroups, in both campaigns, and now you are only seeing one KW in each adgroup, and that is the same KW in every adgroup?

How did you do this, with the adwords UI, or the adwords editor? Does anyone else have access to the account?

Tom

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

One thing I'd check would be the change history for the past day to see if you can spot anything strange that has gone on.

I've never had an account just move things around without me doing something (or someone else without me knowing)

Do other people have access to the account that could maybe make some changes?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks to both of you for the ideas. I'm the only one with access to the account. What is weird is whenever I change keywords in one ad, it changes them globally for the whole campaign. I tried it out just now. Very strange. Is there a setting that I'm not aware of?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi billy_s,

Do you have more than 1 ad or are using the same ad across different adgroups?

When you wrote "What is weird is whenever I change keywords in one ad, it changes them globally for the whole campaign", are you referring to changing the text of you ad or the keywords? Please keep in mind that it is not possible to change keywords at the "ad" level unless you only have 1 ad in 1 adgroup.

If need be, list the exact steps that you are taking and maybe I or someone else in the forums can assist.

Hope this Helps,

RPquest

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

As suggested, check the change history just in case someone else has managed to get access. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

billy_s I think you are confused between ad and adgroup. In an Ad group there can be multiple ads sharing same keywords. Google will rotate the ads and show the ad more often which get more clicks.

Have a look at Ad groups here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the help. Reading your answers cleared up alot of my confusion. 

I was using 1 ad in each ad group. 

Many thanks!