AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords Containing City Name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I use keywords "clarkston board" and then hover mouse over status ballon I get the following.

The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show. Location: Clarkston, Washington, United States

My reference is to Clarkston, MI not Clarkston, WA.  My campaign allows United states and excludes Clarkston, Washington.  How do I prevent keywords from being associated with physical locations or how can I change it?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords Containing City Name

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI Alatadwords,

You're targeting a campaign to the whole US but are targeting specific cities via kewords and excluding specific cities as well.

Without knowing the goals and extent of your strategies its tough to make a recommendation on this one.  

I have a sense that you may be able to make use of a combination of different targeting options and more campaigns using geotargeting but like I said, without knowing more, it is difficult to say.

Can you possibly share more info about your campaigns and strategies?

Thanks,

Tom 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I found the following allows me to set the proper region for the keywords.

michigan "clarkston board"

I hope this will get hits in Michigan for the following.

clarkston board

clarkston board of education

clarkston school board

Adwords needs keyword documentation regarding keywords containing names of places.  Let me know if you have any additional advice.

Thanks,

Al

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello AlatAdwords,

What i understand from above conversation is only that you are talking about physical location in keywords. You may or may not want to show up on keywords containing physical location. You might like to check this link out.

Thanks,

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Neha is right on here!

What I think you would want to do is target by physical location only, and exclude by physical location and search intent.

I am curious, with such local intent, why target the entire US? You may get less traffic only targeting the school district area, but that would seem to be more highly targeted traffic. What's interesting, is that even though I am in Portland, Or. the top organic result for the keyword clarkston is for www.clarkston.k12.mi.us/  in Michigan. Perhaps the SEO efforts have been great enough to avoid potentially costly branding for the school district with a national PPC advertising campaign?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I appreciate the replies.  I don't think I have explained this correctly.  I think my keywords will be specific enough that I just have my campaign settings open to the United States.  I am focusing on keywords tied to our Clarkston, MI school district and city of Clarkston.  One thing I wanted to target were people looking for information an upcoming bond vote.  I use keyword “Clarkston bond” and it says the keyword will not generate an ad because it has a location restriction of Clarkston, WA, United States.

That may make sense sometimes but not when it is the wrong Clarkston.  I can put “Clarkston Michigan bond” and it will focus on Clarkston, MI.  Problem with that is the search would have to have Michigan in it.  I want anyone searching with any combination of the words “Clarkston” and “bond” which should be defined as “Clarkston bond”.  I don’t want Adwords to make any location assumptions regarding my keywords.

The reason I am leaving this open to the U.S. is I believe my search terms are specific enough.  Also people searching from a large corporate network may be seen as coming from a different state.

Al

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

"I use keyword “Clarkston bond” and it says the keyword will not generate an ad because it has a location restriction of Clarkston, WA, United States."

I forgot to ask, where is it you are seeing this warning/message? If it's the keyword diagnosis bubble, or ad preview tool, those are not always accurate. For example, even though I am in Portland, Or., the google machine thinks I am located in Albany, Or., 70 miles south of my actual location. Sometimes when I am trying to preview or diagnose keywords, for campaigns targeted only to the city of Portland, I will get a message that says something like "your location targeting is preventing an ad from showing". So, I have to rely on dimensions tab, or analytics data, to confirm the specific locations ads are serving. In short, don't trust those warning/error messages alone.

"people searching from a large corporate network may be seen as coming from a different state." 

I understand the concern. Location targeting has improved greatly since the days when all AOL users were reported as coming from a single location (was it Richmond, Virginia?), but is still far from perfect. If you are trying to expand awareness for a school bond issue, and generate some real political influence for your cause, have you considered the display network?

The Huffington Post for example (don't get me started on their anti-google "spin" lately), is a placement which you can target on the display network, which seems to generate very engaged user traffic for one of our politically/community involved clients. The conversion rate for display is lower than search, but with twice the number of conversions, for half the cost/conversion of search, I am convinced, that when it comes to issues of commuinty engagement, display is far more effective than search. Selling products or services, is a different dynamic than trying to motivate people to get involved with their community.

I know this has been an off topic rant, but let me ask you this - What are the odds someone is searching for information about a school district bond measure, vs. someone viewing a news site/placement, who happens to read an article about the local school bond measure? How much more effective could your message be if you create an ad, that seems more like a link to another article, than a direct engagement sales pitch? If your site has the content, try connecting with users in the awareness stage of the buying cycle. It's not direct ROI, but if awareness is your goal, you shouldn't focus on the direct engagement/purchase stage of the buying cycle alone (search). 

If, for another terrible example, this is a charter school bond measure -  What happens if you create a display network campaign using the keyword tool to generate variations of waiting for superman? What if you use those keywords to create an overall theme, to target supporters of charter schools nationwide, who could generate some real support for your cause? (I assume you are working on behalf of a charter school, because public schools don't seem to advertise?)

In my opinion, there is plenty of buzz surrounding Michigan's current political environment these days. There is a lot of potential, highly relavent, highly profitable placements on the display network which you could explore. It's much, much, more difficult to find that audience with search advertising, and in general, display clicks tend to cost pennies on the dollar in comparison to search.

Sorry for the rant, but I think you will have to continue to fight an uphill battle when it comes to search advertising, in comparison to display. Given my assumptions, regarding your overall goals, in this particular situation. Smiley Happy

You didn't ask for "best practices" overall strategy, or the like, but with AdWords, it's hard for me to not think about the bigger picture, and overall ROI. Whatever works best for you, is absolutely what you should be doing, but there is more to PPC advertising than just the SERP's. Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the reply.  You nailed it.  The diagnosis bubble says my add will not display due to location being in Washington.  As you can probably tell I am brand new at this.  I am just a resident trying to figure out a way to spread awareness of the local bond.  So far it looks like signs on the corner are hard to beat.  Smiley Happy

I thought I would be able to get hits by targeting keywords related to our area.  But so far 0 clicks from search.  A few from third parties which I don't think I even want.

Thanks for the display ad suggestion.  I will have to learn what that is and give it a try.

Regards,

Al

Keywords Containing City Name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello dear I am mr terry i m interested in you after going through your
page in this site, I have something to discuss with you, I
like your profile, I think we can know each 
other, reach me at my ID ( jr1839338@gmail.com )