AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords Confusion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am pretty new to adwords, about 2 weeks, but I did read about it before diving in.  The account I am jumping into has some existing campaigns and keywords, and one of the adgroups in one of the campaigns has some keywords (broad match) that were triggering keywords (also broad match) in other adgroups and campaigns.  This is a problem because it ends up triggering ads for other products.

I thought the problem was with the broad match, and started adding negative exact matches (on an adgroup level) for the keywords that were triggering other ads in the adoptive adgroups.  2 things happened immediately after that:  1.)  Seems like some of the quality scores dropped  and 2.) Other keywords have started triggering other keywords in other adgroups/campaigns.  It appears that the keywords that are triggering other adgroups/campaigns are located almost exclusively in 1 particular adgroup.

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Keywords Confusion

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi KeyPlayer,

Actually "Other keywords have started triggering other keywords in other adgroups/campaigns" this issue is very general.

I think you really need to look hard at your keyword duplicay, account structure and strategy. 

I am pasting a conversation which i find on adword community 
on the same topic, that could be helpful.

* Ad group 1- "grade 6 widgets" with keywords related to it (grade6)

* Ad group 2- "grade 7 widgets" with keywords related to it (grade7)

And so on.....

Even when you do so you will find that a keyword "grade 6 widget" might trigger an ad from a different ad group (lets say the grade 7 widget ad). This is again because how google matches a single keyword at a time with one ad in the account.

To correctly target your ads for relevant keywords, in the negative keywords list of each ad group add the "grade number" (6,7,8 and so on) for which you dont want to show you ads present in that ad group.

To make it simple, for ad group 1 you can keep "7,8...." in its negative keywords list. This would specify that you dont want the ads in ad group 1 ( grade 6 widgets) to be triggered by search terms which has those unwanted grade numbers(7,8...) in them.

In that case i just slightly raise the bid of main keywords which i want to trigger.

Broad match: broad match means that your ad may show if a search term contains your keyword terms in any order, and possibly along with other terms. Your ads can also show for singular or plural forms, synonyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), related searches, and other relevant variations. Sticking with the broad match default is a great choice if you don't want to spend a lot of time building your keyword lists and want to capture the highest possible volume of ad traffic. 

I think below link will help you to understand the nature of keyword match type.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497836

Thanks

Anchal

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Keyplayer,

In your particular situation: I would first improve Account/Campaign Structure.

-- By Removing duplicates
-- By Bifurcating adgroups in tighty themed adgroups
-- By Adding negative keywords @ adgroup level.

-- By adding irrelevant queries as negative keywords @ campaign level
-- By testing various match types.

Let's Assume you having two adgroups:

1) Adgroup: customer Support

2) Adgroup: customer Service

Now The adgroup stucture should be like:

>> Adgroup Customer Suppport

Positive Keywords Associates with above Adgroups

need customer support
customer support number
toll free customer support

Negative Keyword Associated with above adgroup

"customer service"

>> Adgroup Customer Service

need customer service
customer service number
toll free customer service

"customer support"

In above example I am keeping negtaive keywords in phrase because I don't want to miss out on keywords such as customer support service. Customer service support.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi KeyPlayer,

Actually "Other keywords have started triggering other keywords in other adgroups/campaigns" this issue is very general.

I think you really need to look hard at your keyword duplicay, account structure and strategy. 

I am pasting a conversation which i find on adword community 
on the same topic, that could be helpful.

* Ad group 1- "grade 6 widgets" with keywords related to it (grade6)

* Ad group 2- "grade 7 widgets" with keywords related to it (grade7)

And so on.....

Even when you do so you will find that a keyword "grade 6 widget" might trigger an ad from a different ad group (lets say the grade 7 widget ad). This is again because how google matches a single keyword at a time with one ad in the account.

To correctly target your ads for relevant keywords, in the negative keywords list of each ad group add the "grade number" (6,7,8 and so on) for which you dont want to show you ads present in that ad group.

To make it simple, for ad group 1 you can keep "7,8...." in its negative keywords list. This would specify that you dont want the ads in ad group 1 ( grade 6 widgets) to be triggered by search terms which has those unwanted grade numbers(7,8...) in them.

In that case i just slightly raise the bid of main keywords which i want to trigger.

Broad match: broad match means that your ad may show if a search term contains your keyword terms in any order, and possibly along with other terms. Your ads can also show for singular or plural forms, synonyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), related searches, and other relevant variations. Sticking with the broad match default is a great choice if you don't want to spend a lot of time building your keyword lists and want to capture the highest possible volume of ad traffic. 

I think below link will help you to understand the nature of keyword match type.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497836

Thanks

Anchal

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Keyplayer,

In your particular situation: I would first improve Account/Campaign Structure.

-- By Removing duplicates
-- By Bifurcating adgroups in tighty themed adgroups
-- By Adding negative keywords @ adgroup level.

-- By adding irrelevant queries as negative keywords @ campaign level
-- By testing various match types.

Let's Assume you having two adgroups:

1) Adgroup: customer Support

2) Adgroup: customer Service

Now The adgroup stucture should be like:

>> Adgroup Customer Suppport

need customer support
customer support number
toll free customer support

"customer service"

>> Adgroup Customer Service

need customer service
customer service number
toll free customer service

"customer support"

In above example I am keeping negtaive keywords in phrase because I don't want to miss out on keywords such as customer support service. Customer service support.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the ideas!  I'll give them a shot. 

Another surprising aspect of this scenario is that in some cases, the same keyword typed into adwords preview will offer inconsistent results, sometimes triggering an ad for one adgroup, and other times triggering yet another in another adgroup, neither of which is the one that I'm aiming for.