AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords: Competition within Account?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

I know about and accept the fact, that every keyword should only be used once in my account (unless targeting different regions or devices).

so now the following situation arises:

Campaign A: Keyword: "Imagefilm"
Campaign B: Keyword: "Hotel-Video"

both phrase match.

User searches: "Imagefilm Hotel-Video".

The ad from which campaign is going to be shown?

How to structure accounts to where i get the most tightly grouped keyword/adText combination?

There is a multitude of these Things arising here:

campaign: "Hotel-Video"
campaign: "Image-Video"

campaign: "Product video"

i would like to structure relevancy into the account, but cant see how. user searches what user searches in any combination he/she wishes.

Suggestion: ??

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords: Competition within Account?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

As a rule of thumb - and there are plenty of other variables to consider - the keyword that will be shown is likely to be where google will make the most money.

This does not mean that your keywords will compete with one another - that doesn't happen.

All other things being equal the keyword with the better QS (or elements of this - such as CTR, etc)

If you want to control which of the two campaigns triggers the ad - use negative keywords... so use Hotel as a neg in Campaign A and/or imagefilm as a neg in Campaign B.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author floshkit
September 2015

Re: Keywords: Competition within Account?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@stickleback;

I am not sure I agree on this as a general statement:

>>> All other things being equal the keyword with the better QS (or elements of this - such as CTR, etc.),

And I also would say, that your "rule of thumb" is in contrast to Google's statement. (See link below)

It is a much more complex algorithm. Since it is that complex; the best would be to read it in the help center. (Find a quiet place, where you can concentrate - there are 3 main scenarios and many exceptions,)

@floshkit; I think your case (since similar KWs, same match type, but different campaigns) falls into one of the exceptions...but, I did not get that deep to figure.(So, I could be wrong). Read this section in the link below: Multiple keywords within multiple ad groups are similar to the search term.

Since it is a complex algorithm, try to avoid competing KWs- my advice.

How similar keywords match to search terms

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’