AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords: Competition within Account?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

I know about and accept the fact, that every keyword should only be used once in my account (unless targeting different regions or devices).

so now the following situation arises:

Campaign A: Keyword: "Imagefilm"
Campaign B: Keyword: "Hotel-Video"

both phrase match.

User searches: "Imagefilm Hotel-Video".

The ad from which campaign is going to be shown?

How to structure accounts to where i get the most tightly grouped keyword/adText combination?

There is a multitude of these Things arising here:

campaign: "Hotel-Video"
campaign: "Image-Video"

campaign: "Product video"

i would like to structure relevancy into the account, but cant see how. user searches what user searches in any combination he/she wishes.

Suggestion: ??

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author floshkit
September 2015

Re: Keywords: Competition within Account?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@stickleback;

I am not sure I agree on this as a general statement:

>>> All other things being equal the keyword with the better QS (or elements of this - such as CTR, etc.),

And I also would say, that your "rule of thumb" is in contrast to Google's statement. (See link below)

It is a much more complex algorithm. Since it is that complex; the best would be to read it in the help center. (Find a quiet place, where you can concentrate - there are 3 main scenarios and many exceptions,)

@floshkit; I think your case (since similar KWs, same match type, but different campaigns) falls into one of the exceptions...but, I did not get that deep to figure.(So, I could be wrong). Read this section in the link below: Multiple keywords within multiple ad groups are similar to the search term.

Since it is a complex algorithm, try to avoid competing KWs- my advice.

How similar keywords match to search terms

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

As a rule of thumb - and there are plenty of other variables to consider - the keyword that will be shown is likely to be where google will make the most money.

This does not mean that your keywords will compete with one another - that doesn't happen.

All other things being equal the keyword with the better QS (or elements of this - such as CTR, etc)

If you want to control which of the two campaigns triggers the ad - use negative keywords... so use Hotel as a neg in Campaign A and/or imagefilm as a neg in Campaign B.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author floshkit
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@stickleback;

I am not sure I agree on this as a general statement:

>>> All other things being equal the keyword with the better QS (or elements of this - such as CTR, etc.),

And I also would say, that your "rule of thumb" is in contrast to Google's statement. (See link below)

It is a much more complex algorithm. Since it is that complex; the best would be to read it in the help center. (Find a quiet place, where you can concentrate - there are 3 main scenarios and many exceptions,)

@floshkit; I think your case (since similar KWs, same match type, but different campaigns) falls into one of the exceptions...but, I did not get that deep to figure.(So, I could be wrong). Read this section in the link below: Multiple keywords within multiple ad groups are similar to the search term.

Since it is a complex algorithm, try to avoid competing KWs- my advice.

How similar keywords match to search terms

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’