AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords Average Position Below 1?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello all,

I have several Ad Groups where the Average Position is below zero; in one instance, the keywords in the Ad Group show Average Positions of 1 at best, but the Total - Search Average Position is 0.4, and it seems to average the total of the Ad Group to below 1.

I'm having trouble interpreting this data, can anybody help? Is the Average Position for the Ad Group always biased like that?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords Average Position Below 1?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello dvalladt;

To me, it sounds that the servers have not been fully updated with all (data of)impressions obtained.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Yep - that's a glitch - since the best position you can get it 1 - the average has to be minimum 1....

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Yeah, there has to be something wrong there... You just can't have one half of one ad on a page - It just don't work like that. Smiley Happy

How could you have less than one, and more than none ad(s) on a single page?

Tom

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello.

I wonder if that does not have something to do with Product Listing Ads, whose position stopped being reported some time ago. If those campaigns have PLAs enabled, and that position is recorded as 0, it may explain the sub 1 numbers.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thatnks everybody for your answers... I reckon it must be a glitch, but I don't know what's causing it.

I haven't used Product Listing Ads by the way...

What's interesting is that the position seems to be dropping day by day... starting at 1 two weeks ago, 0,99 the next day, then 0,93... and so on. It's 0,3 yesterday. Not a very dramatic issue, but interesting (I think).

Regards!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi dvalladt, what does the position show if you report on a period in the past such as February?  As has already been suggested, it's not a good idea to look at very recent data (and "very recent" does include "today").

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the quick answer. The positions I'm quoting, are from two weeks ago onwards... is this data recent enough to be "suspect"?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi dvalladt, what I'm after is a period of reporting that doesn't include very recent data, i.e. 1st Feb - 28th Feb, or 1st March to 10th, anything that doesn't include dates within 48 hours of "now".

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sorry, I misunderstood. However, it's the same, with dates earlier than 48 hours (or more), the results are the same: Average Position below 1.