AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword with BMM as Phrase Match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Experts,

I'm using the below keywords in one of my campaign:

+plumbing leak repair
+plumbing leak repairs
+plumbing leaks
+plumbing pipe repair
+plumbing pipe repairs
+plumbing rooter service
+plumbing service & +repair
+plumbing service and +repair

These terms contain BMM. Concern is, can I use these keywords as phrase match? for eg "+plumbing leak repair." If yes, than what's the impact on the traffic??

Appreciate your responses in advance!

Thanks,

Rahil

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ratan-Jha (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Re: Keyword with BMM as Phrase Match

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Rahil,

If I may add on an additional perspective.

When you take a modified broad match term and add quotes to it, in order to make it a phrase match, the keyword becomes phrase match and the + signs are ignored. It would be no different than using a phrase match keyword without the + symbols.

That said, technically what you're suggesting doesn't fit within general AdWords practices. If you want a phrase match, use phrase match, if you want modified broad, use modified broad. As a best practice, I definitely don't combine the two (or any other match types) they all have a specific purpose and use.

I would strip any + signs you have included in Phrase and Exact match terms.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
No you can't mix phrase match and BMM. Both are different match types and don't work if you combined both.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Actually you may add e.g. "+plumbing service and +repair" to your keyword list if you wish to. Chances are that the + signs will be interpreted as part of a phrase match keyword and the traffic will therefore be pretty limited. In a nutshell: you may do so, however, it will not make much sense.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the help, Santosh! Appreciated!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV with all due respect what would you call such match type ? I have never seen search terms with +sign

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@santosh s;

I did not take part in this discussion and further, not sure I understand your question.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
>>> never seen search terms with +sign <<<

You are correct, Santosh. That would be nonsense.

However, technically speaking you are *not* prevented by the system from applying such keywords to your keyword list. If you do not believe it, just try putting it to the test in the interface on your own.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ratan-Jha (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Rahil,

If I may add on an additional perspective.

When you take a modified broad match term and add quotes to it, in order to make it a phrase match, the keyword becomes phrase match and the + signs are ignored. It would be no different than using a phrase match keyword without the + symbols.

That said, technically what you're suggesting doesn't fit within general AdWords practices. If you want a phrase match, use phrase match, if you want modified broad, use modified broad. As a best practice, I definitely don't combine the two (or any other match types) they all have a specific purpose and use.

I would strip any + signs you have included in Phrase and Exact match terms.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’