AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword triggering other ads with a similar keyword, but lower Ad Rank

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have multiple locations and have seperate Campaigns and ad groups per location; we offer all the same product at each location.  Each campaign and ad group have very specific location targeting so that my ad groups don't overlap. However I use the same / similar keywords in each ad group and I'm running into the problem of only one adgroup showing a keyword at a time. So far in order to get around this I've been hosting A days and B days with only showing my Maryland ad's on A days and palsing my Virginia ad's, and then on B days only showing my Virginia ads and palsing my Maryland ad's. I've been doing this for a couple months and noticed a sigificate growth in convertions, however I'd like to increase my budget and run both ad's each day rather than everyother day. Any suggestions on how to get around this? We are opening a 3rd locations soon so the problem is only going to get worse.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword triggering other ads with a similar keyword, but lower Ad

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
The way to do that would be to geo-target by setting a separate campaign per location. (i.e to geo target at the campaign level and not at the ad-group level.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Keyword triggering other ads with a similar keyword, but lower Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The simplest solution if your keywords are very similar across ad groups is to have the campaigns for each location combined into several campaigns (or however you have right now per location, not total) that target all 3 areas. To do so, go into your location targeting settings, add each geographic territory in there and then set your bid adjustments accordingly.

That will allow you to monitor where your clicks are coming from, have a budget that combines all 3 locations but you can track the spend individually, and adjust your bids based on the location.

If you were targeting different countries, I would seperate them, but I'm assuming that the locations are somewhat nearby (a state or so over) and that this strategy would work fine and minimize your work as well.