AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword targeting ads in different campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have created 1 campaign for exact match type and another for phrase matchtype. I am using same keywords with the matchtype difference - so for example I have 1 campaign with the keyword [games] in exact (the exact campaign), and the keyword "games" in phrase in the phrase campaign. In order for the keyword in exact to trigger ads when searching for the exact term, I have put it as a negative keyword in the phrase campaign. It used to work properly (and still does in some keywords) but I started to get notification from adwords that the keyword in phrase ("games") is triggering the ad from the exact campaign. Any idea how this can be solved? I want the keyword "games" in phrase to run in order to get keyword ideas from the search terms, though I want to target specifically the keyword [games] in exact as well.....

Thanks,

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword targeting ads in different campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Personally, I think this approach is very "AdWords 2001" VS "AdWords 2015".

I used to segment by match type like this, but have since noticed things working better if I simply create "Ad" groups ad opposed to "keyword" groups. For the last few years: 

• 7-15 keywords
  • mixed match type (but mostly exact, then some phrase/modified broad, and a 1-2 broad
  • no redundancy
  • grouped by theme
  • with decreasing bids down from exact to broad 

This generally gets me higher Quality Scores, and is easier to manage. Also, the "segmented by match types" became a lot harder since google began forcing variants. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Maim Z,

The message doesn't mean what you may think. The report is based on the exact keyword, so a query of "games" will trigger the exact match. A query of "great games" would trigger the phrase match.

Sounds to me like you're doing it right.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Haim Z just to follow up on @Michael E comments, personally I don't like the approach of using negatives to block and force match types.  I've yet to see a compelling reason why it's a good idea to force AdWords to match against a particular Keyword when the internal algorithms, which work to provide both the best experience for the user and the best results for the Campaign, have decided another is the better choice.

The only reason for operating in this way is where Exact and Phrase matches would indicate a different intent by the searcher, but those are very rare, and the approach is still only relevant if you need to use different landing pages and/or Ads.

The most likely result of forcing match types in this way is simply to increase your costs and decrease efficiency.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your suggestion Michael! however, I did try your method, though found it less useful...I do group ads by theme but by keywords and matchtypes as well since no matter how you will look on it, phrase match and exact match types do not act the same, and will not get the same quality score, no matter how good is your ad. But thanks for the suggestion Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

Thanks a lot - I kind of thought it still works, but needed another opinion to support mine, so thanks a lot!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

In fact I am afraid you are wrong... I get lower costs that way and better results. Also the LP's as you've mentioned are different, and even the ad is different in order to get a better quality score and ad rank. The reason I use both exact and phrase is to find out some new exact match terms to add to the exact campaign, but in no way it makes the costs higher and efficiency lower. In fact, when put exact and phrase together in the same adgroup, I got much higher spent and lower quality score....