AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword sizes and Ad Groups, and a Google Opportunity Suggestion

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I got an opportunity message saying the following:

opportunities.png

Is 86 too many keywords?

Should I break it up?

I have stuff like...

+nyc +plumber +onsite

+best +plumber +onsite

+new +York +city +plumber +onsite

+nyc +plumbing +expert

+nyc +plumbing +guru

etc....

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bobbym880
April 2016

Re: Keyword sizes and Ad Groups, and a Google Opportunity Suggestion

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bobby,

My hunch is yes, 86 keywords in an ad group is likely too many.

When considering your account structure, a great starting point is to have your AdWords account mirror your website. For example, you could have campaigns for main product/service categories or locations perhaps and then ad groups for each individual product/service you want to promote.  Ideally, each ad group will have a unique theme using specific ad copy and landing pages matching the users search to your keywords, ads and website - that's relevancy.  This is not to say that you can't have multiple ad groups that send users to the same landing page either, that's fine - you just want your ad groups tightly themed.

If you're familiar with an outline - this is pretty similar. Organize your products/services into an outline format and that will be a great guide for your ad group theme.

Also, there is a nice quick video here that may help better explain account structure - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375470?hl=en

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bobbym880
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bobby,

My hunch is yes, 86 keywords in an ad group is likely too many.

When considering your account structure, a great starting point is to have your AdWords account mirror your website. For example, you could have campaigns for main product/service categories or locations perhaps and then ad groups for each individual product/service you want to promote.  Ideally, each ad group will have a unique theme using specific ad copy and landing pages matching the users search to your keywords, ads and website - that's relevancy.  This is not to say that you can't have multiple ad groups that send users to the same landing page either, that's fine - you just want your ad groups tightly themed.

If you're familiar with an outline - this is pretty similar. Organize your products/services into an outline format and that will be a great guide for your ad group theme.

Also, there is a nice quick video here that may help better explain account structure - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375470?hl=en

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That video really helped. I never saw it before and I visited the Adwords channel on Youtube numerous times.
BTW, which software package does Google use to create those cute cartoon tutorials?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi bobbym880,
I suggest you don't insert all keywords available into opportunity. These are suggested keywords which might be useless some of them. You should manually read those keywords and realize if those are closely related to your service/product. Insert only keywords which can give you sales rather than just clicks.

many businesses have keywords with large volume of searches which means you can receive huge clicks but it matters how many clicks converted into sales.

Remove such keywords which gives clicks but not conversion.

Regards,
Virendra