AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword overrides location targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have an issue with location targeting and keywords.

When I am dealing with keywords that contain a city or town name it seems to override the location targeting. 

For example if I have a keyword - used cars perth.

Then I set location targeting to only show the ad in perth. 

It seems the ad will show up in basically any country that it's searched from regardless of location.

Is this something others have dealt with?

Cheers

Nik

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nik R
September 2015

Re: Keyword overrides location targeting

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nik,

Chances are that your location targeting is set to "People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location"

If you look under the location targeting you will see an advanced option where you can change this.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nik R
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nik,

Chances are that your location targeting is set to "People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location"

If you look under the location targeting you will see an advanced option where you can change this.

Hope this helps

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Nik
Google identifies areas that people show interest in,(also known as locations of interest) regardless of the Google search domain the person searches on and regardless of the person's physical location. This, implies that location of interest is a powerful signal to Google that can override location targeting

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If you target by Geo location (especially a big location like Perth) using the campaign location setting, there is no need to include the location name as part of the keyboard. - This would be a redundancy.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Face palm! That makes complete sense, I missed that last edit button.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Glad I could help! And don't feel too bad, we all miss the simple things sometimes, probably more often than most of us would like to admit Smiley Tongue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have tried this, but I have found it performs better when doing an exact match with the name. Is this not your experience?