AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword multiple changes 'Replace' feature broken

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Using the new AdWords Editor, when I try to use the 'Make multiples changes' function for ad group keyword lists, I've been selecting the 'Replace' option, which it even says in the multiple changes popup box that that option will replace the current keywords in the ad group, but it only adds the new keywords, and does not remove the old keywords. Is this a known issue that is being worked on? I'm using the current version 11.1.2. Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jennie M
September 2015

Re: Keyword multiple changes 'Replace' feature broken

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Ah, I see. Looks like a bug. We are marking existing keywords for deletion, but not the new unposted ones. Will fix.

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Uncheck "Make changes in duplicate items" checkbox at the bottom.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm using 'Make multiple changes' and choosing 'Replace' from the drop down above the grid. It doesn't have that option though, I think you might be talking about 'Replace Text'. Thanks

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Ah. Yes, I was thinking of Replace Text, not Make Multiple Changes.

I can't seem to reproduce the problem though. When I'm running Make Multiple Changes in Replace mode, I certainly see new keywords added, while all existing keywords that weren't mentioned in the input data are marked for deletion.

Does the data set you are importing list both old keywords and new keywords, by any chance? The tool would add or keep all keywords that were mentioned in the data, and delete keywords that weren't.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, they are different keywords. I will try re-installing the editor and see if that works since you are getting it to work correctly. Thanks for your help. I'll post whether I got it to work or not.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I re-installed and ran into the same issue, but also tried something different. When I'm experiencing the replace issue, I'm replacing keywords in copied, unposted campaigns. When I tried it in an existing campaign with no unposted changes, it replaces keywords as intended. I also tried adding new keywords to the existing campaign, and then replacing all keywords. The current keywords were deleted and the replacement keywords were added, but the unposted keywords I added prior to the replacement keywords remained. Is this functioning as intended? Thanks.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jennie M
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Ah, I see. Looks like a bug. We are marking existing keywords for deletion, but not the new unposted ones. Will fix.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, thanks!