AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword mistake?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Should I delete keywords from my Ad Groups when they are used across my campaign?  

I've been sloppy.  Nearly all the keywords for my campaign also appear in my Ad Groups.  (I need to take an inventory to see what keywords appear where.)  My problem is that the keywords are getting disorganized and hard to track - and are redundant.  

Also, do deleted keywords disappear from the AdGroups?  From the Keyword Editor program?  

THANKS!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Keyword mistake?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon.

First - structure. You create a campaign which has one or more Ad Groups in it. In each Ad Group are one or more keywords.

I believe you're trying to say that you somehow created a campaign with multiple keywords, almost all of which are duplicated across serveral Ad Groups?  

If that's the case then, yes, you should delete the duplicates. Keep the keyword in the Ad Group where you intended for it to be placed--the Ad Group where the other keywords are thematically very close and where the ads you wrote are the ones intended to be triggered for searches on that keyword.  

I recommend using AdWords Editor (if you don't already), since it makes this kind of bulk analysis and editing very easy. Download AdWords Editor

If you have additional questions, please post them!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris,

Following Theresa's advice, I'd just like to add that with Adwords editor (I assume that's what you mean by "keyword editor"), you can automatically find all your duplicate KWs.
Just click on 'Tools' in the menu, and select 'Find Duplicate Keywords'. This will enable you to see all the duplicates in one view.

And yes, once you post your changes from the editor, the deleted keywords will no longer appear by default (you can change this in the settings if you like).

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon.

First - structure. You create a campaign which has one or more Ad Groups in it. In each Ad Group are one or more keywords.

I believe you're trying to say that you somehow created a campaign with multiple keywords, almost all of which are duplicated across serveral Ad Groups?  

If that's the case then, yes, you should delete the duplicates. Keep the keyword in the Ad Group where you intended for it to be placed--the Ad Group where the other keywords are thematically very close and where the ads you wrote are the ones intended to be triggered for searches on that keyword.  

I recommend using AdWords Editor (if you don't already), since it makes this kind of bulk analysis and editing very easy. Download AdWords Editor

If you have additional questions, please post them!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you Theresa.  I use the Keyword Editor.  Do deleted keywords eventually disappear from Editor?  They appear crossed out.  Perhaps when I upload?  Thanks so much, Chris

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris,

Following Theresa's advice, I'd just like to add that with Adwords editor (I assume that's what you mean by "keyword editor"), you can automatically find all your duplicate KWs.
Just click on 'Tools' in the menu, and select 'Find Duplicate Keywords'. This will enable you to see all the duplicates in one view.

And yes, once you post your changes from the editor, the deleted keywords will no longer appear by default (you can change this in the settings if you like).

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Whoops!  Yes, AdWords Editor.  And, thanks. Smiley Happy