AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword conflicts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I add a negative keyword that directly conflicts with a keyword in the account, how will Adwords react? Does the negative take precedence over the positive?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Keyword conflicts

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi xenophone,

Yes, the negative will prevent it from showing if there is conflict. If you run a keyword diagnosis report, it should tell you that a negative is preventing it from showing. 

You can do this from the keywords tab using keyword details > diagnose keywords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi xenophone,

Yes, the negative will prevent it from showing if there is conflict. If you run a keyword diagnosis report, it should tell you that a negative is preventing it from showing. 

You can do this from the keywords tab using keyword details > diagnose keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

one little precision on negative keywords and the "keyword diagnosis" tool.

If your adgroup contains say "buy red shoes" (phrase) and you have [buy red shoes] as negative-exact Keyword in the same adgroup, google keyword diagnosis tool will tell you that there is a keyword conflict and that your ad won't show up, but in reality the keywords aren't conflicting... This was confirmed to me by 2 Google account representatives.

Why this could be usefull...

Say you sell mickey mouse toys and various merchandise and want to find out the type of by-products (e.g: search queries) people are looking for...

You would probably have a campaign or adgroup dedicatd to the word toy(s) linked to mickey mouse, and even call to actions say "buy mickey mouse toys", "toys mickey mouse", etc.

you might also have tried bidding on just "mickey mouse", but realised that impressions where so high, your CTR was really low, conversions were nonexistent and QS was so poor that it affected your overall account performance and your boss started to doubt you Smiley Wink

all sweating, you drilled down the search term analysis to realise that [mickey mouse] was the keyword with most impressions, and realised that yes, if someone searches for Napoleon, cahnces are he/she will not necessarily be looking for an eshop selling the fancy dress...

So you added [mickey mouse] as negative exact... And there google told you that it prevents "mickey mouse" to enter future auctions... so deleted the negative exact straight away...

Here you are, thinking:

"ahhh, should I pause this "mickey mouse" keyword?"

"... but it's such a query gold mine!!"

The answer is ignore google's alert, your keyword will still appear for all "mickey mouse" queries that are not [mickey mouse].

hope this help Smiley Happy

Keyword conflicts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You da real MVP 

Keyword conflicts

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’