AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Is it normal when we setup new account to include 3 keyword types ?

For example :

I set a default CPC at 0.50

My keywords :

+running +shoes = broad

"running shoes"

[running shoes]

Since the broad modifier should cover phrase and exact, do I still need to set it up ?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Keyword Types

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi tuftycoon,

I will normally add the 3 match types in as they all behave differently.

You will probably end up setting different bids for each of them as you start to see the different results coming back in.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello turftycoon,

As Adam rightly said, different match type of keywords behave in different manner when users enter the search queries on Google search network.

All it matters is what daily or monthly budget you are advertising with and how flexible you are with it.

If you have a limited budget, best practices say that you should least use BMM and the broad match types because they cover broad search queries and you might get mixture of traffic (relevant as well as irrelevant).

Also, as per the latest addition to phrase and exact matches, Adwords will show your ad related to their close variants too (if you want). That means Google is also encouraging more of the users to use these match types so that advertisers get maximum relevant traffic and also the online users tend to see highly relevant ads while searching.

On the contrary, if you are OK with the daily budget and have good hands on experience with Adwords, you are most welcome to add all the match type keywords. Make sure you analyse the Search Terms Report and see how all match types are behaving and whether there is any mixing up of the ads because of similar keywords in different match types.

Eradicate the irrelevant traffic using negative keywords at ad group and campaign level.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi turftycoon, 

That's a really good question! Thanks for asking. 

I wouldn't necessarily recommend having the same keywords on lots of different match types. Even though they are on different match types, you are still having overlapping keywords in your account and this is never a best practice. Having the same keywords on different match types means that only 1 of the 3 keywords in your example would trigger your ad for that given search term, this will mean that  your other keywords will receive less impressions, meaning they will retain the industry average quality score, (rather than developing their own) for longer. By having overlapping keywords you are creating more competition for yourself, which won't help your campaign's performance. 

A.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi tuftycoon,

I will normally add the 3 match types in as they all behave differently.

You will probably end up setting different bids for each of them as you start to see the different results coming back in.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello turftycoon,

As Adam rightly said, different match type of keywords behave in different manner when users enter the search queries on Google search network.

All it matters is what daily or monthly budget you are advertising with and how flexible you are with it.

If you have a limited budget, best practices say that you should least use BMM and the broad match types because they cover broad search queries and you might get mixture of traffic (relevant as well as irrelevant).

Also, as per the latest addition to phrase and exact matches, Adwords will show your ad related to their close variants too (if you want). That means Google is also encouraging more of the users to use these match types so that advertisers get maximum relevant traffic and also the online users tend to see highly relevant ads while searching.

On the contrary, if you are OK with the daily budget and have good hands on experience with Adwords, you are most welcome to add all the match type keywords. Make sure you analyse the Search Terms Report and see how all match types are behaving and whether there is any mixing up of the ads because of similar keywords in different match types.

Eradicate the irrelevant traffic using negative keywords at ad group and campaign level.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi turftycoon, 

That's a really good question! Thanks for asking. 

I wouldn't necessarily recommend having the same keywords on lots of different match types. Even though they are on different match types, you are still having overlapping keywords in your account and this is never a best practice. Having the same keywords on different match types means that only 1 of the 3 keywords in your example would trigger your ad for that given search term, this will mean that  your other keywords will receive less impressions, meaning they will retain the industry average quality score, (rather than developing their own) for longer. By having overlapping keywords you are creating more competition for yourself, which won't help your campaign's performance. 

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks you for contributing to this topic.

I am in the progress of restructuring my entire campaign.

For simplicity sake, I will just use BMM with max CPC 0.50 each.

But I am not willing to pay at the max price for cheaper keywords if I bid directly EXACT or PHRASE.

Anyway, I duplicated all the keywords in my new campaign.

Would be interested to see what's the results.