AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Tool for Semantic / Contextual Long-Tail Ideas

[ Edited ]
JC2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
JC2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What if my product area is high-end shirts.  If you use the keyword tool and just type shirts, you get a huge list with mostly unrelated keyword ideas.  If you type 'high-end shirts' you get another huge unrelated list.  If you check the box, only show ideas closely related, you don't get any other ideas.  

I want to describe to google a product or service type/area by providing several descriptive words like:

core word (required): shirts

high-end

luxury

designer

expensive

And then have the Keyword tool provide recommendations of different combinations of the core word with the other words and words related to the other descriptive words.  This doesn't seem possible which is surprising.  Do I have to essentially create a web-page that heavily uses these words and enter the page URL?

The tools I've found that appear to come closest to this functionality is Trellian and SpyFu.  I only looked at the Free Trial as both are not cheap to use the full version.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Tool for Semantic / Contextual Long-Tail Ideas

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Tom

[ Edited ]
JC2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
JC2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand your point.  But the CTR for search engine results drops exponentially in the first 5 or so results.  So you would have to have a website that ranked very well (or at least page 1) for all keyword combinations used to be able to uncover all the long tail keywords just from looking at your analytics.  

I suppose if you didn't mind wasting some money you could just do some broad matches on Adwords but you would probably end up wasting a lot of money to get enough clicks to have fairly complete data.  I've already done this over the course of the campaign and gradually eliminated broad and phrase match once I felt I had enough data.

I was experimenting more with the Keyword Tool and thought I found the answer.  I had never noticed for some reason the Include and Exclude keyword options on the upper left.  The problem is, the results list returned is still too limited.

For example, I put 'shirts' in the include list so anything returned has to include that word.  Strangely, this only works if the 'return only closely related matches' is NOT checked.  Makes no sense to me.  Then in the search box I entered (one line each): luxury, designer, expensive, high-end and all it returns is 'designer shirts' and 'designer t shirts'  This is with it set to broad batch. 

However if I removed shirts from the included list, check the only return close matches, broad match, and enter luxury shirts, I get the 18 combinations I would expect.  

Very disappointing you can't get a master list from several search keywords all at one with broad match and one required keyword.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello JC2;

I had a similar case in two niche campaigns, where I ran into the same behavior of the keywords tool. The suggested KWs were too broad for the site (that was for a niche service). The leads / conversion the client got were for a much wider service than the niche / specific one the client provided. (Similar to "shirt" vs. "Luxury shirt" in your example.)

I abandoned the Keyword tool, and together with the client set to build a list of KWs ( and the match types), specific to the client business / needs..

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

JC2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
JC2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So are you saying you just used brainstorming then to build your list?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@JC2 wrote:
So are you saying you just used brainstorming  to build your list?

Well, that was more me inquiring / "interrogating "/ questioning  the client than a brainstorming...but, basically - yes.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’