AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Selection

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've been working with Adwords since Nov 2011. The biggest problem I run into is Keyword Selection. I've read tons of articles & watched vids from the Adwords team. But always second guess myself.

For example. I'm working with http://www.mhfoodsinc.com/. Trying to sell precooked Cajun ribs. Of course I've selected themes such as Cajun, Spicy, precooked. But how broad should I go?

Should I target users searching for rib Recipes? Pork Ribs?

Any thoughts would be appreciated
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Keyword Selection

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Swoodby,

Have you tried the Adwords Keyword Tool?  I will also turn to the Contextual Targeting tool and 'Inisights for Search' for ideas as well.  I would also suggest that you explore the '

It's not a bad idea to start working on your negative keyword lists as well, while doing keyword research, sometimes negatives will jump out at you.

I'm of the opinion that if you have the budget to work with, start toward the broader side of things and promote everything on your website.  For you, these topics may include: cajun deep fried, pork ribs, deep fried turkey, food delivery, precooked food, specialty bacon etc (this is off the cuff, I've done no actual research).  Terms like recipes could prove to be beneficial or not, someone looking for a recipe for tonight may not be interested, but could also order for another time. 

The idea behind starting broad is that you use your 'Search Terms' reports and even the 'opportunities tab' to narrow your keywords down and refine your match types to the best performing terms based on your goals: Clicks, Conversions, CTR etc...

Here are a couple of articles from the community Wiki collection: 

Keyword Lists

AdWords Keywords: 3 Steps for Success

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Swoodby,

Have you tried the Adwords Keyword Tool?  I will also turn to the Contextual Targeting tool and 'Inisights for Search' for ideas as well.  I would also suggest that you explore the '

It's not a bad idea to start working on your negative keyword lists as well, while doing keyword research, sometimes negatives will jump out at you.

I'm of the opinion that if you have the budget to work with, start toward the broader side of things and promote everything on your website.  For you, these topics may include: cajun deep fried, pork ribs, deep fried turkey, food delivery, precooked food, specialty bacon etc (this is off the cuff, I've done no actual research).  Terms like recipes could prove to be beneficial or not, someone looking for a recipe for tonight may not be interested, but could also order for another time. 

The idea behind starting broad is that you use your 'Search Terms' reports and even the 'opportunities tab' to narrow your keywords down and refine your match types to the best performing terms based on your goals: Clicks, Conversions, CTR etc...

Here are a couple of articles from the community Wiki collection: 

Keyword Lists

AdWords Keywords: 3 Steps for Success

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi swoodby,

In addition to the great response from our valued Member Tom, I would also like to add about the update on keyword matching options which Google has start implementing from mid May (as per the announcement) which is that your exact and phrase match keywords will start showing on the search terms which includes misspellings, singulars and plurals. By default this option is enabled in the Campaign settings, meaning that your phrase and exact matches will be eligible for those close variants.

As Tom said, Search Terms Report is the real key. Look at the report for some healthy time period and see what match types have been delivered by Google for which of your keywords. If you find relevant terms, you can add them as keywords, otherwise exclude the irrelevant terms by adding as negatives so as to get only relevant traffic for your business.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi swoodby,

I suggest to use keywords with Broad Match Modifier. This will reduce unnecessary search queries.

Use this Link to know more aboutt Broad Match Modifier

-Raghu

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Swoodby,

1. >> Should I target users searching for rib Recipes? Pork Ribs? <<

Because you're not a restaurant or editor I'd probably neglect this option.

2. >> But how broad should I go? <<

It's a common question when starting a campaign. The right answer depends on how precisely your customers can name the products they want and on how precisely and unambiguously the language describes them. To start with, I'd probably use exact match for a truck parts business and broad match for a social website.

3. Otherwise mind the advice regarding Search Terms in the above 2 posts.

Best,

Lakatos