AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Selection

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to narrow down my selection of keywords to use for my ad words campaign.  

I am trying to figure out what the best practice is for selecting my keywords to bid on for Google Adwords.  Is there a  general rule of thumb?

•  keywords that of course fit best with my product, ad and webpage

but then also...

•  have the highest amount of searches?

•  the lowest competition?

•  the lowest CPC (they seem to range from $1.89 to $0)

-- what is $0 mean for CPC?  and is $1.89 considered high?

Sorry for the dumb questions, just very new to this and I feel like I could read online forever about it.  

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Keyword Selection

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

No dumb questions! Fundamental.

- Search volume by itself is not a enough to qualify as a keyword. Although keywords with very small volumes won´t give many customers. Then your only option is too broaden with keywords with higher volumes

- low competition is nice, then you could get customers more cheaply. But how well targeted, relevant, are those keywords - can they give you customers at all?

The same applies to low cpc.

- 1,89$ per click is not to be considered expensive, generally speaking, but of course that depends on the keywords ability to bring customers and your margins

I like to think of good keywords as the ones that bring me customers at a price that I can accept. If it doesn´t bring any customers at all or too expensive (because of low order values or whatever) I won´t consider it to be a good keyword and finally wil shut it down.

If you don´t have that data, you should start with the keywords that are most likely to bring customers (use your experience and stomach too make that decision on beforehand).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your suggestions. Sounds like I need to really focus in on my keywords and see what is converting into sales. Do you usually created separate landing pages for each ad?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Do you usually created separate landing pages for each ad?

For keyword rather than ad (same thing if you have tight ad groups), and if you have resources, yes, it is highly recommended to create custom landing pages.