AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Planner Volume of Zero, Still a Potentially Useful Keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If a keyword has a search volume of zero in the Keyword Planner, is it still useful to try it in Ad Words, or is it guaranteed to be a "low search volume" keyword and get zero impressions?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonathan S
September 2015

Re: Keyword Planner Volume of Zero, Still a Potentially Useful Keyword

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Moshe,

That was exactly my understanding as well, perhaps I did not phrase it as well Smiley Tongue.

Initial KW score is based on other advertiser QS of that keyword and then adjusted based on account history.

I doubt we will ever know how heavy that adjustment is, but I have seen some drastic differences in kw expansion on the same account that has been optimised properly.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the AdWords Community!

Personally I've never relied on the data given in the keyword planner as it's always been very inaccurate.

As a best practice I feel it's best to add all relevant keywords, even if they are "low search volume" - People may start searching for the term in the future and it certainly doesn't do any harm to have it in your account in case people do.

Hope that's of some help to you.

All the best,

Spike

Follow me on Twitter!
http://www.twitter.com/SpikePatching

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jonathan S,

I am going to differ slightly from Jonathan here, not in the essence of his answer, but in other ways.

I believe the keyword planner is a powerful tool and there is much to be gained from understanding and using it accurately. Most individuals just whack in a few terms and take those results as given, which is were the problem lies.

Remember to consider match type's, and the inclusion of negatives as well as targeting options. One also needs to consider that the toll does not factor in different quality score (QS) or ad rank. So while it can be inaccurate, when you understand how it is inaccurate and how to curb that it becomes a powerful tool.

With respect to, should I include the keyword despite low volume. This again is a double edged sword. Best practice does say to include it, especially if it is a highly relevant term, or a term that your brand will increase search volume for once established. Consider loosening up on your match type if it is low search volume and then watching the Search query report to see what types of queries are matching to your term.

Now with respect to the double edged sword reference, google has admitted to an account QS over and above a keyword QS. This at is simplest form dictates the QS of new keywords added to your account based on the average QS of the keywords in your account. Now if you add in a ton og low search volume KW's you will begin to skew your account average towards the average of your account at the time of inclusion. This would mean that improvements across your account on ad rank and QS will have lees effect on new keywords than they normally would have. So just be wary of adding too many low search volume keywords.

This is a somewhat simplified explanation but I hope it gets my point across: Be discriminate with low search volume keywords.

Hope this helps

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

And I would consolidate both answers of Clynton and Spike, and add one correction;

The keyword tools are, indeed, as Clynton mentioned, a powerful tool.  However, as Splike mentioned the inaccuracy is found within the broad margin of error in the statistics, which govern the estimates/ figures shown.

So, I use the tool as a "first " shot. 

As  for your original question: Low search volume  means what literally said. However, I would keep a KW with low search volume  if it  brings clicks occasionally (those clicks usually have high CTR - 1 click for 10 impressions is a CTR of 10%)

And one correction to Clynton's  last paragraph: (>> "This at is simplest form dictates the QS of new keywords added to your account based on the average QS of the keywords in your account").

Many are confused with that: When you add a new KW, the QS  given is based on other advertisers QS for the same KW (in its exact match form). Only after some time (not disclosed), or about 1000 impressions your kW performance "kicks in" to calculate a QS "of  your own".

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Moshe,

in reply to the correction, I did not mention other advertisers when it is related to new keywords, as I was just talking of account health. But yes this is the case for a base QS, and thank you for pointing that out.

However, once a base quality score for a keyword has been established based on other advertisers that QS is then further influenced by account history, before performance influences the QS.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
I agree with Moshe,

Also just few ideas. As said before low search volume mean google thinks those keyword research rate is quite low related to other keywords.

However Low search volume doesnt mean you cant use them at all. For a eg if you have very niche market and because of that you have low search volume ignoring the keyword just because it has low search volume may not be the appropriate options.

Specially if u doing a branding search campaign or targeting a niche market even keywords with low search volume may get you right audience

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Clynton;

This is a nice question;

Google does not disclose that. It just says that

>>" when we add fresh keywords, initially, they’re awarded a historical Quality Score based on their previous performance on Google.com. And only once the keyword starts accruing statistics, the system then evaluates its Quality Score based on its recent performance. This doesn’t happen dynamically, but is a gradual process.

On the other hand, in this white paper  about QS Google published a few months ago, it said:

>>"Instead of measuring new keywords from scratch, we start with info about related ads and landing pages you already have. If your related keywords, ads and landing pages are in good shape, we’ll probably continue to have a high opinion of them. Always invest in growing your coverage on relevant searches, especially in areas where your ads have the potential to be high quality"

So, my conclusion is that the QS for a new KW factors in the QS of other advertisers with  a (sight ?) component of your account history.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonathan S
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Moshe,

That was exactly my understanding as well, perhaps I did not phrase it as well Smiley Tongue.

Initial KW score is based on other advertiser QS of that keyword and then adjusted based on account history.

I doubt we will ever know how heavy that adjustment is, but I have seen some drastic differences in kw expansion on the same account that has been optimised properly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all for the great info, very helpful.

The way I take these responses is that I should ensure that the account has a solid QS first, and if so, it's okay to then test possibly zero volume keywords. And if they never get an impression after a while, I will delete them.