AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Insertion | Please Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble setting up my campaign. So here's the thing:

I have a list of like 500 cities I want to target. BUT I want to create different ad groups for every city so that each ad group should be specific to one city from the list and each ad copy should be unique to every ad group (containing the city name in it). Here's an example:

* Ad group name: “{city-name}”

* Ad headline: For ad groups where headline 1 is over 25 characters, use headline 2.

* Headline 1: “Best Barber in {city-name}”

Headline 2: “{city-name} Barber”

* Description 1: “More than 20 years of experience”

* Description 2: “Book an appointment now” * Display URL: http://www.barber.org/

* Final URL: http://www.barber.org/

Any help is welcome! Thank you so much!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Insertion | Please Help

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @George Ginger are you looking for some way to programmatically generate these Ads?  If so, it can be done via Scripts, but there's no automatic way to insert a location name into a single generic Ad.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @George Ginger.

As @Jon_Gritton said, there's a way to do it with scripts if you have the cities names available in Google docs, or maybe even with Adwords Editor, and a few excel sheets import steps (not yet sure, it comes to mind, but I can't still see the whole process picture...)

But @Jon_Gritton, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Location targeting on campaign level?

If so, basically, according to what @George Ginger described, there will be a need to create 500 campaigns, not ad groups.....

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Arik I was thinking that a script could generate Ads based upon a spreadsheet of cities, generating the required lines.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah, a script would be perfect!

Do you perhaps happen to know any place where I can get it?

Basically, I need to type in parameters of the new Ad Groups, and use spreadsheet to get data from.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

It would be possible to dynamically insert city names into a generic ad using Ad Customizers. Since Ad Customizers were updated to accept a "Target Location" field, you could load a feed that looked something like:
Target_Location | City (text)
Denver, Colorado | Denver
San Diego, California | San Diego

Then your ad would look like:
Best Barber in {=FeedName.City}
More than 20 years experience
Book your appointment now

Caveats:
You have to make sure that EVERY instance of the inserted text will fit the character limits, or it could come back as disapproved. You have to run a non-customizer ad in the same ad group, so you'd have to have a generic ad running alongside this one. 500 is a lot to maintain in a feed like this. If you go this route, it might be better to break your list into some logical smaller groupings for management purposes.

This might not be the way you ultimately want to handle this, but it's always good to have options!

A couple of resources to help you get started with customizers if you haven't used them before:
http://searchengineland.com/new-use-location-in-ad-customizers-to-auto-tailor-ads-based-on-where-use...
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6093368?hl=en&ref_topic=6031980