AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

{Keyword:Default Text} Or {Keyword:Default Value}

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I am getting bit lost here which one is the good to use between these two?

{Keyword Default Text}(editor tells me i cant use this one anymore) Or {Keyword Default Value}

Thanks

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tabish
September 2015

Re: {Keyword:Default Text} Or {Keyword:Default Value}

Google Employee
# 12
Google Employee

You still seem to misunderstand how keyword insertion works. Suppose you specify {KeywordSmiley Very Happyefault Value} for your ad headline. If your ad is triggered by a short enough keyword - say "optimization" - then this keyword will in fact appear in your ad, so your ad would look like this:

Optimization

SEO Guaranteed Top 10 rankings!

But when the same ad is striggered by a keyword that's too long - say, "search engine optimization" - then the ad would appear like this:

Default Value

which is probably not what you want.

Whatever you type within the curly braces after the colon, becomes the headline of your ad. This is the purpose of that text.  There is nothing magical about the words "default text" or "default value". You could specify your headline as {Keyword:Foo Bar} and have the same effect: the ad would appear as

Optimization

sometimes, and as 

Foo Bar

other times.

Now, it is up to you to decide what text you want to appear in your ad's headline in those cases when the actual keyword doesn't fit. If you want "SEO" to show up, then make your headline {KeywordSmiley FrustratedEO}.

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

You don't literally put "Default Text" or "Default Value" there. You enter your text there, which will be used by default if keyword insertion doesn't work out for some reason (e.g. your ad is triggered by something other than a keyword - say, a placement; or the keyword is so long that after replacement the ad line would exceed the line length limit).

For example, if you enter

Find hotel rooms in {Keyword:a hotel near you}

then the ad may sometimes show up as

Find hotel rooms in New York

(assuming you bid on keyword "New York"), and other times as

Find hotel rooms in a hotel near you

(if the ad happens to be triggered by a keyword that's too long).

What do you mean when you say "editor tells me i cant use this one anymore"? What's the exact error message you are getting? AdWords Editor doesn't have any logic that specifically looks for the words "Default Text" and prevents you from using them inside the keyword insertion. It's likely the wrong thing to do, but you should nevertheless be able to do it if you are so inclined.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi  guys;

I am jumping in, since I have seen other advertisers confused (as tabish): "what is exactly this default text in DKI format? - Is that a king of a programming parameter?"

@Igor:

Though the help center article about DKI was recently revised (Oct 16), I think that some clarification, as in your answer, could be helpful. You might want to bring this up to the help center writers.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Well, they even have an example there (which I didn't know about, or I would have just pointed to it rather than coming up with my own) which uses {KeyWord:Chocolate} and shows what the ad would look like under three different scenarios, including the "keyword too long" one. They also say:

Keep in mind

Make sure your default text, in the example above "chocolate," is short enough to keep your ad within the character limits. If your keyword is too long and would cause the ad text to exceed its character limit, the ad's default text will be used instead. For example, when a potential customer searches for "gourmet chocolate truffles," the default text is used in the ad's title since the keyword is too long to fit. However, "gourmet chocolate truffles" is used in the destination URL since there's no character limit there.

What changes would you suggest to make this article clearer?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

For me there are a couple of things.  Firstly, I do think it's not clear that "default text" isn't actually what you type in.  Look at what the help file says:

"To get started, insert the following snippet of code at any point in your ad's headline, description lines, or destination URL: {keyword:default text}."

There's nothing to indicate that "default text" needs to be replaced.  It's got the same character settings as the rest of the code and I think it's easy for somene not familiar with DKI to think that's what you insert.  We can have no better proof that this is the case than this very thread where a real user has had exactly this issue.  To my mind it would hurt nothing to follow this sentence with just the words " where "default text" is replaced by the words you'd like shown when a keyword cannot be used."  Changing the words "default text" to italic might help as well.

I have to say I think the Chocolate example is also misleading as the text says you can "insert the snippet {KeyWord:Chocolate}..." and this could result in Ad Headlines like "Buy Dark Chocolate" or "Buy Sugar Free Chocolate".  To get this you'd have to use the Headline "Buy {KeyWord:Chocolate}".  OK, this may be obvious to us, but I don't think it is to people new to DKI.  I'd also say the relationship between the keyword and the Destination URL isn't explained.  Again, if I didn't know the Dest URL was also using DKI I might assume this kw=? happened automatically.

Sorry Moshe, I stepped on your post - just wanted to add my support...

Jon 

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ohh ...It's good that I looked again at this thread before starting to write my answer to Igor's question.

I am with Jon. Ditto.

@Jon:;

>>" Sorry Moshe, I stepped on your post - just wanted to add my support.."

No problem at all. We think alike...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi tabish,

First of all, I got a real kick out of the forum inserting smileys as your keyword, but that's not your question.

I can only think of one reason the Editor would give you an error message on your default text--it would cause the line to be too long for the character limits.

Otherwise, there is no difference between "Default Text" and "Default Value", both should be replaced by the text you want displayed when the keyword is not eligible for DKI.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all for replying. p.s petebardo The smily was un-intentional as they got in because of the command line i guess

I remember very well i used to use {keyword default value} and all my search terms replace my add text, except for the ones who are longer than add title.

I do understand the {keyword ABC} will serve as dynamic add title, but wont pick the whole searched keyword. so my question was this, which is the best one to use for very very large pool of keywords?

and yes editor did gave me an error,find below screenshoterror

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Ah, interesting. This is a policy check error - it's not generated by Editor, but by the AdWords server when you Check or Post Changes. Editor is just passing it along. You should be getting the exact same error if you try to create the same ad in the Web interface.

It appears that putting "default text" for default text was such a common mistake that they added a policy check to catch it. Must have been added recently, I haven't seen this before.

Now, you don't want "Default Text" to actually appear in a headline when your ad is served, do you?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

no I dont want add title as default text

as i said, i would want the keyword to become add title(except for the ones who exceeds the character limit), i use to do it by using {keyword default value} which dont seems to work any more so i guess my only option left here is same as defined

{keyword SEO}? unless anybody else have better idea