AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Keeping my products listed in Google Shopping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Please forgive me for being dim! I struggle to understand all these changes.

I have an on-line silver jewellery shop, it has over 2000 different products. They are all currently listed in Google products and many of them often appear in the first page when people search using specific terms, eg enter the term 'silver giraffe pendant' and my products appear twice on the first page in different colours. Another item eg. 'silver snake chain', requires completely different key words ( and may not appear as it is quite a common item), generic keywords like 'silver jewellery' will not work as there are literally millions of websites.

I don't understand how the adwords accounts that will soon be required will work for my website, each item is different and will require different keywords.

Can anyone, help me understand what to do?

Does it all mean that if you pay for an adwords campaign, items will continue to be listed as before in shopping??

In which case the cheapest campaign possible would be best as, as I am ok with google products as it is right now???

Help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keeping my products listed in Google Shopping

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi kimgparker,

Product listing ads do not use keywords. Instead they use the product description to determine relevance to the search query. It works much the same as Google Product search, they just want you to pay now for the listing.

You might not want to bid the same CPC for each product, higher ticket products you may want to bid more. Do this by creating ad groups and applying filters to your feed. You can use adwords_labels, adwords_group, or category as filters. I find adwords_labels easiest to use.

With the switch to paid advertising, product ads now have an AdRank. Under Google Shopping they had a page rank. These are much different ranks. AdRank is basically QS * Bid. In addition to the ad copy, store reviews and ratings come into play with AdRank. What does this mean? Very basically it means if your products now list along side of your competitors, and if those competitors bid higher than you, they could show in a higher position than you with product listing ads.

You wrote, "In which case the cheapest campaign possible would be best". Well, certainly we are all looking for clicks at the lowest rate possible, but that does not really mean you can make a minimum bid and still be shown for that product or products. It is certainly not a set and forget program. You'll need to review the results periodically and assess the position(s) your product has. Then adjust your bids accordingly.

AdWords provides and Ad Preview and Diagnostics tool, which is the best way to look for your own ads as it does not count as an impression and the results are not customized for you. It works for regular text ads as well as for Product Listing ads.

What to do? Think about your groupings of products as related to CPC bid. Do not bid more than you can afford to pay per click and still turn a profit after conversion. Set an initial daily budget to an amount you are willing to lose. Experiment with bids and copy. Analyse the results and adjust setting accordingly. When you are getting good performanc eout of your product ads you can increase your daily budget. But I never increase the daily budget by a significant amount all at once. There will be a point at which more daily budget will produce diminishing returns (profits). You won't want to go beyond that point. The only way to find that point is by testing your daily budget incrementally.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords