AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Issues with advanced keyword destination URLs using valuetrack

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The following document highlights the value track parameters available in Adwords.

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en

In example #6, Google highlights using value track to set keyword destination URLs for {ifmobile} and {ifnotmobile}

Example from Google:

{ifmobile:www.example.com/?myid=df32}{ifnotmobile:www.example.com/?myid=df33}

We tried to replicate this example in Adwords and ran into technical issues.

Our keyword destination URL:

{ifmobile:www.mysite.com/mobilelander.php?kw={keyword}&campaign_id=123}{ifnotmobile:www.mysite.com/lander.php?...

We got an error from Adwords editor that URLs were not correctly formatted.

However, we got this error to go away by changing to the following:

Destination URL=

www.mysite.com/{ifmobile:mobilelander.php?kw={keyword}&campaign_id=123}{ifnotmobile:lander.php?kw={k...

Can anyone shed any light on why we are running into this error? (We did not make the http error).

We haven't uploaded anything yet out of fear of messing up our campaign.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Issues with advanced keyword destination URLs using valuetrack

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hey

I have had similar problems with new value track parameter and the work around i found was through coding rather than value track. This article has a sample code for the same.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

The syntax that allows the whole URL to be wrapped into {ifmobile} and {ifnotmobile} is less than a month old. URLs like that were not allowed at the time current Editor version was released. They will be supported in the next release. Meanwhile, if for some reason you really need this syntax, then you would have to enter such URLs in the web interface.

Note that you only really need the new syntax when using different domain names for desktop and mobile (e.g. www.example.com vs m.example.com) - otherwise, as you've alerady discovered, you can have the placeholders wrap just the parts of the URL after the domain name. Even with different domains, if they are sufficiently similar to each other, you may be able work around the problem with something like {ifmobile:m}{ifnotmobile:www}.example.com  (which current Editor release does accept).

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
hi,

is adwords editor ready for valuetrack as of v 10.6.0 ?

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
If by "ready for valuetrack" you mean whether Editor would accept a URL like

http://{ifmobile:www.example.com/?myid=df32}{ifnotmobile:www.example.com/?myid=df33}

then yes, it will.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
thnx,

uploading with editor a url like:

www.example.com/?campaignid={campaignid}

and then clicking the ad in adwords would give me:

www.example.com/?campaignid=%7Bcampaignid%7D in chrome.

is that ok and will it pass campaign id?

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Well, Editor's job is to collect the URL from you, and pass it along to AdWords servers. Which, to the best of my knowledge, it does, braces and all. What happens to that URL afterwards, I'm not sure.

Posting this URL in Editor should have the exact same effect as setting this URL directly in the online interface. If you observe that URLs created in Editor behave differently, then we have a problem: please tell me more about it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
seems to be fine,... or at least its working for us right now. %7D being url encoding.