AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Is there any co-relation in between contextual and search campaign?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I would like to know -- Is there any co-relation in between contextual and search campaign?

I have setup two separate campaign for contextual and search --- even though, if I will try to change the CPC rationale in between two campaigns (for the same ad group) then the campaign performs completely different than the way it was performing. I have assigned the “shared budget” for both campaign – is this affecting CPC changes?

For one day, I stopped the contextual campaign to check – how is the contextual campaign performs? – Surprisingly, the cost/ conversion for the search campaign went high by almost 10 times. Also, the CTR and avg. position has also got affected – CTR has gone down to 2.00% from 3.50% and avg. position has increased to 4.7 from 3.7.

I would like to know -- what are the other factors that may have cause this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Suyog

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is there any co-relation in between contextual and search campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Could you explain what do you mean by contextual campaign?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi MosheTLV,

Contextual campaign means Display network text ads on the basis of keywords i.e., ads displayed on automatic placement network.

Thanks,
Suyog

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

OK - thanks for clarifying;
You need to look at each campaign (search vs display) separately;
The algorithm of matching keywords to relevant content of web pages (aka contextual targeting)  is not the same as the auction algorithm used  to match keywords to search queries (on the search network).

So; the changes in the performances / metrics of your search campaign should be looked somewhere else.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the answer.

Yes, I have checked campaign setting for both the campaign - haven't found any issue.

Why did the search campaign not performed the way it was performing when i paused the contextual campaign? -- It should have performed much better that the other day as the weight-age/ benefit may have switched to search campaign.

I hope you will understand what I'm trying to convey or concern about.

Thanks again,
Suyog

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

There could be many reasons for the lower performance of the search campaign. (Run a quick search on the community for "lower ad position", "low CTR", "CTR changed",  etc.... You will find hundreds of discussions. I also recommend the optimization section of the user articles.)

One point is certain: the changes you made on the "pure" display campaign  (i.e. contextual targeting using keywords)  had no effect on the search campaign.

Edited: here is a good article on the subject:

Why is my Conversion Rate so Low?

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Why-is-my-Conversion-Rate-so-Low/ba-p/318017

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

In addition to MosheTLV's useful (and accurate) suggestions, there were some other thoughts I had that I wanted to share around budget.

You say you were using a shared budget for the two campaigns. When you shut off the Display campaign, that meant that there was more budget available for the Search campaign to spend.  Assuming that your Search campaign was not already serving 100% of the available traffic, this meant the Search campaign was able to serve a lot more searches in a day. (You gave no information on how much traffic levels had changed in the Search campaign.)

Depending on what match types you're using for your keywords, the additional budget might have allowed the Search campaign to serve a wider variety of searches than it was serving before. Not all of these searches were probably of equal quality for your purposes.

Regardless of your keywords, if you were using Standard ad delivery (the default), your Search ads were originally competing for a fraction of the available traffic each hour. Increasing your budget meant that your ads were eligible to compete more frequently throughout the day.

However, again, not all traffic is of equal quality. Getting more traffic is not necessarily a good thing--not unless your campaign has been active for a while and you're sure that your current keywords and ads attract a high percentage of customers.

What I'm saying is, if your advertising campaigns are fairly new or if you have not yet optimized them for best performance, it's possible that you were able to earn a lot of additional ad shows but that those impressions were not coming from the best quality traffic for your purposes?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*