AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Is there a way I can dynamically change the headline on my landing page based on the keword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I was wondering if there is tool where I can send some query in the URL parameter to see which keyword was to used to find my website and to change the headline.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tutorials On Demand
June

Is there a way I can dynamically change the headline on my landing page based on the keword?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Tutorials On Demand,

Yes, you can do that. In your tracking template(s), add something like keyword={keyword}. This will return the keyword that triggered your ad in the query string for the name "keyword". I would do this on the server side if at all possible, otherwise it looks like the StackOverflow code would work.

Here's the problem and why that might not be a great idea. If you are going to go through the page copy and replace certain words with the returned keyword, you'll have to choose your keywords carefully so the new text remains grammatically correct. Same is true even if you just change the headline. I know it's tempting and seems like it would save time in creating campaigns. The problem is choosing keywords based on what produces good grammar on your pages rather than choosing keywords that perform well. The 2 goals may conflict.

An approach to solve the dilemma would be to maintain a table of your keywords and the headline you want to show for the keyword. When you parse the keyword from the query string, pass it through the table to determine the headline to use.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

There are also some paid tools which might be easier for some users. Search for Dynamic Text Replacement from Unbounce or another one called Dynamic Website Content from ActiveDemand. I guess there are more on the market.

Regards,

Hana

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tutorials On Demand
June

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Tutorials On Demand,

Yes, you can do that. In your tracking template(s), add something like keyword={keyword}. This will return the keyword that triggered your ad in the query string for the name "keyword". I would do this on the server side if at all possible, otherwise it looks like the StackOverflow code would work.

Here's the problem and why that might not be a great idea. If you are going to go through the page copy and replace certain words with the returned keyword, you'll have to choose your keywords carefully so the new text remains grammatically correct. Same is true even if you just change the headline. I know it's tempting and seems like it would save time in creating campaigns. The problem is choosing keywords based on what produces good grammar on your pages rather than choosing keywords that perform well. The 2 goals may conflict.

An approach to solve the dilemma would be to maintain a table of your keywords and the headline you want to show for the keyword. When you parse the keyword from the query string, pass it through the table to determine the headline to use.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay I got it. That makes sense