AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Is something going on with Google and locations?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

When I google "where am  I" or "my location" google puts me in another state, 130 miles away.  Bing is only off 20 miles, but at least has me in the same state.

This doesn't give me much faith in my Geo-targeted campaigns. 

Anyone else seeing this?

Phil

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is something going on with Google and locations?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Phil, location targeting has never been a precise science.  Google uses a number of different indicators to try and determine a users' location but it can simply be down to an IP address trace which is often very "approximate".  I'm frequently shown as being almost 100 miles from my current location.

With Location targeting you have to work with the knowledge that it's not precise and that it's not constant.  When you use Location Targeting you need to think about more than just hitting a button that says "this state" and "that state".  You'll need to consider the impact of this drift, measure how often it happens and its effect on your Return on Investment.  Part of that decision is why you're targeting by location.  If you've split by State merely to have greater control over bids then it probably doesn't make a huge difference if a few percent of your clicks come from outside the region.

At the end of the day, if where your Ads are shown needs to be precise to get an effective Campaign, ironically Location Targeting probably isn't accurate enough on its own.  It should be a part of the overall strategy, but perhaps needs other help like location Keywords, and strong location based Ad text, Places linked extensions, etc.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Well...we have had complaints about Geo targeting not being perfect. However, in the US Geo targeting is quite reliable - but not perfect. I would say this is not common.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I'm not even sure "perfect" Location Targeting would be a good idea - at least not as a default setting.  Even when there's a very clear incentive for a precise radius - say a pizza delivery firm - can you really be certain that the guy who's just 500 yds outside of your radius won't drive in and collect after seeing your great delivery Ad?

Moshe knows, I've spent a lot of time thinking about Location targeting and AdWords - it's one of my favourite subjects - and though I'd like to see it better, I think for most users we'd still want some "fuzziness".  The ideal solution I guess would be a radius, State or some other location with a slider to allow a certain percentage of "fuzz" where you could set it to 0% if you wanted.

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I know location targeting is loose, but it would be nice if it had my location closer than a three hour drive.  Bing can do it, why can't Google?

I know, just a venting.

Phil

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Smiley Happy

a) I'm not sure Bing can do it any better than Google can - in fact I'm darn sure they can't.  If you see Bing consistently reporting your position more accurately than Google it'll be because of the various different ways of determining position that are used, not because Google has chosen just one particular method and Bing another.

b) Just out of interest, I take it you have set your Advanced Settings to "People in my chosen locations...", not the default of people that are in, or interested in, which does allow people outside of the area...

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Well, someone must be watching, because today Google has my location within a couple city blocks.  Let's see if my conversions come back as well.

P

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

To me it sounds that your ISP fixed an issue with IP allocation. Smiley Happy

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I don't think we can blame my internet provider for this one.  Remember, I'm in NH.

Where am I.jpg

And yes, I had just cleared the cache and all.  This was in Chrome.

P