AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Is it possible yet to target mobile only?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I know it's possible to exclude mobile by reducing bid for mobile to -100%.

however, is there a way to create a campaign that would target these mobile users only?

I want my ads to be shown to mobile users, however, I don't want the stats to mix in with the stats of the desktop/tablet campaign, therefore I def. need a separate campaign.

What can be done? 

4 Expert replyverified_user

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Re: Is it possible yet to target mobile only?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Out of the box and 100% accurate you cannot create mobile-only campaigns with AdWords.

What you can do though is bid low for desktop and raise your mobile bid up tp +300%. That will, however, not guarantee that desktops/tablets won't get to see ads if those low bids are high enough for your ads to show.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
so what will happen if i create two campaigns,
one for desktop/mobile with $1 bids on "term 1", with -100% for mobile,
and another for desktop/mobile, with $0.3 bids on "term 1", and +300% for mobile.
what would happen when desktop user searches for "Term 1"? which ad he will see? on what campaign impressions stats would be generated?

I really don't see why Google don't allow to this in a clean way. there's a demand for it, and it's possible on Bing ads long time ago.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Any device will see the ad from the campaign with the highest bid for that device (assuming QS is the same for that keyword in both the desktop and the mobile campaign). In your case, if someone on desktop searches for "Term 1", since the first campaign has a $1 bid, that's the ad which will be served.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jay,

In addition to what Adwiser said you can have only mobile-preferred ads in your campaign and then there would be less chances that those ads appear on desktop or tablets.

Regards,
Rupesh

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jay, can I clarify what you want to achieve?  From your first post, and your suggestion about using separate Campaigns, it sounds as though your primary concern is mixing the statistics.

If you have a separate Campaign that's targeted only at Desktops/Tablets in the way you describe then this Campaign should attract all the Desktop clicks, as Calin says, since it will rank much higher than your other Campaign.  However, it will attract clicks, which is why I wonder if you're trying to exclude mobiles, or simply looking to separate their stats.

Note that if all your Ads are specified as mobile, then all your Ads can be shown on any device.  The mobile preference checkbox only takes effect if there is at least one "non" mobile Ad in the Group.

If all you're looking to do is view separate stats, you can do this using the Segment button, then choosing "Device".

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
one of my major concern for example is the assumption that mobile users are less likely to click on my ad, therefore the CTR would be smaller, which can effect the QS. since I wouldn't want to get the QS of the desktop campaign effected due to this, I want to seperate them.

however, since your'e saying that as long that I bid a bit higher on a separate campaign designated for desktop only, all impressions/clicks etc. from desktop users would be accounted for only on that campaign, I guess that's a sort of a "solution"

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Jay, AFAIK QS is calculated separately for each device group (desktop + tablet / mobile), so if your keywords perform worse on mobile than they do on desktop, this will affect your mobile QS, but not your desktop / tablet QS. So you should not be worried about mobile performance affecting your desktop / tablet one.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was reading this thread looking for a way to accomplish mobile only targeting and concluded that I needed to drop my bids and then modify mobile bids to +300%. I also wanted to split Android vs. iOS, so I duplicated my campaigns and went into the "Device: target..." setting to do so.

When I selected Android devices this message came up "When you select advanced mobile and tablet options, you opt out of desktops and laptops." BAM! That's how you exclude desktop devices! Just use the "Device: target..." feature in the settings and you'll opt out of desktop and laptops.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Jason, please be aware of the fact that this option is only available in Display campaigns. You cannot target by OS, device model and carrier in Search or Shopping Campaigns.