AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Is it okay if I don't merge mobile- & desktop-specific campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

We have different mobile-specific and desktop-specific campaigns in our account, and it would be quite complicated and time-consuming to merge these campaigns together to match with the launch of Google's Enhanced Campaign (we have watched the video here already: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2909484?ctx=tltp). 

Is it okay if we just keep the current campaign structure and let the Enhanced Campaigns be effective on the current structure later on? I mean are there any bad sides of not merging?

Thanks a lot,

Agnes 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it okay if I don't merge mobile- & desktop-specific campaig

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Agnes,

Google is planning to to upgrade all the campaigns to enhanced campaigns in mid-2013.

You can keep the campaigns till that time without any problems.

But as you said this process is time consuming and you need proper planning before you merge/upgrade your campaigns.

There are lot of things to take care of like your device preference, bids, keywords and so on.

So it will be good if you plan your campaign upgradation slowly and carefully, not waiting till the last minute rush.

Ideally learn more about enhanced campaigns and about campaign upgradation. Then convert/merge one campaign in your account and see the settings/adjustments and learn how they work, and more importantly monitor the performance and do optimization.

Learning experience from this will help you to make the remaining changes effectively and efficiently, and in time Smiley Happy

A word of caution here - Once you upgrade a campaign to enhanced, it can not be reverted.

Hope this helps

Re: Is it okay if I don't merge mobile- & desktop-specific campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Can we just keep the current separated structure and not do the merge, even after mid-2013? Are there any bad sides?

We really do not want to carry out the merge. 

Thanks,

Agnes

Re: Is it okay if I don't merge mobile- & desktop-specific campaig

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Agnes,

Unfortunately you can not keep separate campaigns without merging/upgrade.

We opt or not all the campaigns will be upgraded to 'Enhanced' by mid-2013.

If you keep similar campaigns after upgrade, it will be unpredictable which of those campaigns will serve ads.

"f you do not merge two very similar campaigns, it may be difficult to predict which one will serve ads, and the performance statistics and budgets will be fragmented. Note that even if you do have two very similar ads, they will not compete with each other within the AdWords Auction. The most relevant of the two ads will enter the auction."

Please download and read the 'upgrade guide' for more information.

http://www.google.com/adwords/enhancedcampaigns/resources/