AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Is it impossible to exclude audiences in Search Campaigns?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello

I had this idea of creating a copy of each search campaign, changing the ads to include phrases like "Visit Us Again", increasing the bids for all the keywords and excluding all the visitors with a remarketing list on the original campaigns.

However, when I tried to see if it was working, it wasn't.

Apparently when you use a remarketing list to exclude users on a search campaign, it doesn't work.

I tried to set bids to -100% but it only lets me set amounts less than -91%.

Its a shame I can't make this work, I think it would be great to be able to do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it impossible to exclude audiences in Search Campaigns?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Edit* - Moshe has shed some light on this matter that is more accurate!

Hi Luan,

While in the Audiences section of a search campaigns ad group, simply click +Exclusions under the "Campaign audience exclusions" section underneath the metrics area.

You then have the option to add "interests & remarketing" at the ad group level. You can use any of your remarketing audiences here!

Tailoring your ad copy copy and bidding based on your remarketing audiences is a great idea! Please let me know if you have any other questions! Thanks.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Robert!

Yes, I know, I have added them there, but when I googled to see the remarketing ad instead of the other one, I saw the other one.
Are you sure audience exclusion works on the search network?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Luran
The exclusion does not work with "pure" search campaigns only with remarketing.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Moshe
You mean that I can only use exclusions to make a combination of remarketing lists, right?

Thanks a lot!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Luan R;

Here you are;

Just as you can improve your keyword list by excluding specific keywords, you can remove specific types of audiences, like remarketing lists or audiences, from your ad group if they're not a good match for what you're advertising. Keep in mind that audience exclusions are only available in certain campaign types:

• "Display Network only" > "Marketing objectives" > "Drive action" > "Buy on your website"
  • "Display Network only " > "No marketing objective" > "All features"
  • "Search Network with Display Select - All features"
  • "Search Network only - All features" (Remarketing lists for search ads only)

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549058?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
""Search Network only - All features" (Remarketing lists for search ads only)"
Does it mean it works or not? I'm confused now.

Thanks a lot Moshe!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Only for Remarketing List for Search ads (RLSA)

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks!

There it says:
"When you copy a campaign for using remarketing lists for search ads, and create new ads for your site visitors, ads from the campaign with the remarketing list are shown to people on the remarketing list. Ads from the original campaign are shown to people who aren't on the remarketing list."
Which we know isn't true, since both campaigns will compete with eachother.
I have set a higher CPC for my remarketing campaign, but on KWs with 10 QS it doesn't matter, the campaigns still compete since the CPC they will pay is the same on those KWs.
Is there any way to solve this issue?

Thanks a lot Moshe for your time! Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

They will NOT compete, because the ads from the remarketing  campaign will are shown only to users already visited the site.