AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Is it good idea to have multiple ad groups?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am new to PPC and I am running ads for my project. I have created 2 campaings. Under 1st campaing I have 30 ad groups running ads for 180 keywords. While 2nd campaing I have 5 ad groups running ads for 70 keywords. 

Is this good idea to have multiple ad gropus and keywords? I little suspecious because maximum times when I try to preview my keywords I get this message (We're only showing your ad occasionally because of your budget.)

Amit Verma

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amit Verma
September 2015

Re: Is it good idea to have multiple ad groups?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Amit,

You are getting that message because your current daily budget is not sufficient to accommodate all of the available traffic so the system will slow down your ad delivery.

You have few options here.

1. Try increasing your daily budget.

2. Lower your bids, so your average CPC is reduced and you may get more traffic for the present daily budget.

3. Try to pause too generic keywords in your account if you have any. Generic keywords normally generate huge traffic and your daily budget will be consumed faster.

4. If you are using broad match keywords, try switching to a more restrictive match type (exact or phrase).

You may not wait the whole month to decide and make changes. Just make sure you are making your decisions based on a good sample size (for example 100 impressions and 1 click may not help you to take the correct decision).

Hope this helps,

Deepak

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Amie,

Well there are few advantages of having multiple adgroups in a campaign, Let me give you a example. If you doing a bakery and want to advertise two different products in same bakery having two adgroups and using themed keywords and adcopies unique to two products make sense and you can measure the results well.

(We're only showing your ad occasionally because of your budget.)

This happenes when your ads has the capability to show ads more often but your allocated daily budget is not enough to so adwords will only show your ads occasionally,

In my personal view I think this is because of your high amount of keywords.For me using thightly themed 15-20 keywords are enough for a one product. I think 250 keywords is way too much for your campaign.

So removing unwanted keywords and having tightly themed keywords will help you to save your money and get better results. 

I suggest you to take some time and read through basic adword support articles for more understanding Smiley Happy 

https://support.google.com/adwords/?hl=en#topic=3119071

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Amit,

It will be a ‘great’ idea to create tightly themed multiple ad groups.

When you do this you have many advantages.

1. It is easy to write specific Ad copies and use specific landing pages for the keywords in a very tightly themed ad group. This will help you to increase your click through rates, increase quality score and reduce average cost per click.

2. Optimizing your campaign will be easy. You can easily find out which keywords are working well for you or not working for you, when the keywords are segregated in tightly themes ad groups. Controlling spend and efficiency will be easy.

There are no specific rules about the number of keywords in an ad group. Just make sure the theme of the keywords in an ad group is same, and you can write specific ads for those keywords.

Please go through the information in the link below.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704396

Deepak

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Nisal and Deepak for your support Smiley Happy

Deepak, my idea of setting ad groups matches to your views i.e. tightly themed ads. But I suspected my idea when I got maximum times this message on preview of Ads (We're only showing your ad occasionally because of your budget.)

So to minimize this message what should I do?
Should I pause some of my ads?
Should I choose a suitable limited time to make my ads enable?
Or
Should I continue with my ads for whole month and make changes after the analysis of monthly stats of campaigns?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amit Verma
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Amit,

You are getting that message because your current daily budget is not sufficient to accommodate all of the available traffic so the system will slow down your ad delivery.

You have few options here.

1. Try increasing your daily budget.

2. Lower your bids, so your average CPC is reduced and you may get more traffic for the present daily budget.

3. Try to pause too generic keywords in your account if you have any. Generic keywords normally generate huge traffic and your daily budget will be consumed faster.

4. If you are using broad match keywords, try switching to a more restrictive match type (exact or phrase).

You may not wait the whole month to decide and make changes. Just make sure you are making your decisions based on a good sample size (for example 100 impressions and 1 click may not help you to take the correct decision).

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Deepak,

Your answer is very much helpful for me to take right step. Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

Amit

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
You are most welcome Amit.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Amet you may want to go and add negative keywords to your campaigns if you haven't already, as well as the great recommendations by Deepak. Especially since you you run so many keywords. 

This can save you thousands of dollars from wasted junky clicks and give you thousands in extra income from increased sales from the correct people making it to your site. Just go in and add words you would never consider a buying keyword for what you are selling and add it to the negative keywords section for each campaign.