AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Is it better to create new Adwords account within MCC or to link to a client's account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a new client that does not currently have an Adwords account.

Is it best to create a new account within the MCC or to have the client create a new Adwords account and add our MCC email address as a user for us to link it?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Is it better to create new Adwords account within MCC or to link to a client's account?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Christina H

that's going to depend on whether your client actually has an Adwords account or not.  If they already do, then best practice is to link.

If they have a Google account, but have not activated Adwords, I find it easiest to create the account in the MCC, and then grant their account admin access.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, the client does not have an Adwords account.

Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Creating it in the MCC works best if you have multiple clients. You don't have to create a Gmail account. You don't have to start off with building a campaign. And it means that initially only you have access. In my experience it is best not to give the client access unless they ask for it - otherwise they can fiddle with things. 

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

It's easier for both you and the client if you create the account. However - The client should not only have access to the account, but they should have administrative/ownership access to the account, and control their own billing.

If the client wants to go in and meddle with things, then they are not going to be a very good client in the long run. If that's the case, then setup the account for them, create an initial campaign(s), and charge them a few bucks for that service.

You are not an account manager if they won't let you do your job, so that's not going to be an account management type of deal. In the long run you will have to decide if it's worth it to you to risk your partner status due to performance and keep that account in your MCC.

Tom

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Agree with #tomhalejr - the account is the client's.  Definitely give them access...plus they have to add their payment info...the last thing I want is all of their billing/CC info in my hands.  I generally set it up first n\and grant them access.  Generally goes much smoother.  

As for them fiddling...it's their account.  If they want to do it, just let them know that it often interferes with your ability to maximize their account and that is what they are paying you to do.  If they want to play around with it, take payment for the setup and go find someone that will appreciate your talents as an account manager.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

The differences in opinion here may be to do with the size of businesses / accounts. At my agency we are at the low end, and we find it is far easier for us to enter than billing details (while the client is on the phone) than have them do it. After all, that is one of the reasons they have hired a manager. 

Also, it is against AdWords policy to deny a client access to their account, however we find it best to not provide access unless it is asked for. Most of our clients are content to just see monthly reports.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

I certainly did not mean any offense @RobSkelton. Smiley Happy We're small timers too, and because of that - CC info and account ownership are potential areas of liability we just can't afford to risk. Of course, if it's necessary to get the account funded then we'll press the buttons... But - If we can't help walk a client through how to take care of their billing, then every time there's an issue (expired card for example) we will have to sort it out.

That being said, we don't have a step by step billing guide onsite, and that is definitely a piece of content that I should create. Smiley Happy

Tom

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

The client is the owner of the account. If you open an account on behalf of the client, send the client a link to the TOS, so the client is aware of responsibilities   and obligations set by Google.

As @tomhalejr mentioned, I always  grant the clients admin access. Transparency is a good practice in   a client-agency relationship.

My 2 pennies...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all of the great responses. I appreciate it.

My process is always to veer on the side of complete transparency. So, yes, I did invite them as an Administrator.

If they happen to muddle in, it should show in the history anyway, correct?

My clients would prefer not to even look at it let alone mess with it so it's rarely an issue.

For all new clients, if they don't have a company Gmail account, I will create one for them and give them this new account. I explain that this is the COMPANY account and should be controlled by at least one or two people (preferably one should be the CEO or owner) within the company that has access. Too many times a 3rd party creates these accounts or an employee leaves and they are stuck.

Again, thank you!