AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Is forward to an intermeditate domain still allowed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Previously i read that the main concern adwords has is the you eventually get to the landing page...

I have heard of the intermediate stop being used when split testing is done..

So here is what I am trying to do... my host is a real stickler and will not allow me to run google analytics.. or to add any track software anywhere.. not even adwords feed back code...

So what I am trying to develop is a method to determine if the lead is from adwords or organic... I added a code to the url so that I can see when a visitor arrives from adwords... for example mydomain.com/somepage?trk=mot_5

Meaning visitor is from my adwords campaign 5... and when someone visits I can see that he is from adwords but the Tracking code will not be logged in the record since my host only tracks the visitor after he signs up... and not while he is just a visitor.

So if he does not land and immediately sign up he will be on a different page w/o my Tracking Code when he signs up so the Tracking code is lost... however my host does log the ip of the visitor once he signs up so here is what i want to do.. if its ok..

1. First i know that the final landing page must match the display URl..

2. I send the adwords visitor to site1(intermediate site)  and immediately grab his IP... then I immediately forward him to a page that matches the domain of the display URL.. so the final landing page matches the domain of the display URL.

3. Now if he signs up my host adds his IP to his record.....

4. Now I write software to compare his Ip in his record with the IP of all the folks coming from adwords.(logged at the intermediate site). and if a match I add the source of adwords to his record..

5. Finally I would like to export these records and import it back to adwords since my host does not allow the adwords feedback code on the site... is all that possible as I have written.

Hope I have not confused everybody.... but having no access is no fun... and hundreds of thousands out there have this problem every day and most have no idea how to work around it... but I am trying with your help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tomppc
September 2015

Re: Is forward to an intermeditate domain still allowed?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Tom.

If your host does not allow you to run Google Analytics, please note that you're missing out on a great deal of insights with respect to how your website and campaigns perform. You probably know that already.

I for one would never run AdWords campaigns without Google Analytics + Google Webmaster Tools as a minimum requirement, because I would not know what works & what doesn't and how to optimize my advertising and / or the website.

If switching hosts is not an option in your case then the answer is yes, you may use an intermediate website for tracking purposes. However, there are two issues (at least) with this approach.

The first one is that no matter what you do, your total time, from the click to the landing page rendering, will be longer and thus your quality score may suffer. Therefore you *may* be paying more for a click as opposed to a different advertiser which may do everything the same but run a faster website.

The second issue is that you now have to make sure that two websites work all the time instead of one. The slightest error on the intermediate site, that would cause it not to redirect properly (or a downtime) will cause the landing page not to render and you may violate the policy which states that your website must be up and running at all times.

So, all things considered, if I were you I'd switch hosts last month Smiley Happy.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks adweiser.. that answered my question... just wanted to make sure that google would not hammer me for using a landing page URL at google that switches to a new URL when it lands... but of course the final landing page will match the domain of the display URL so everybody will be happy...but as you said.. any delay in switching can never be as bad as having total zero feedback in regard to what is giving results and what is not...
The NO analytics and NO adwords feedback is common place among tens of thousands of sites..using real estate... but the website product is so good that hundreds of thousands of agents will accept the ridiculous restrictions placed on them rather than drop the product..
Hopefully I will soon figure out this whole thing.. on how to use GA to export and then import back to adwords to alleviate the problem at least on sites that allow GA but no adwords feedback... anyone an expert on this feedback thingy contact me.. I can pay for help here.. to develop a system to allow GA lead export and them import back into Adwords... I have all the google references but do not fully understand how to do it.. But thanks you answered my question....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adweiser: can you confirm that I am doing it right...
1. display url = tomsdomain.com
2. land url at adwords = tomstmpdomain.com/switchitnow/
3. my physical final landing URL = tomsdomain.com/lotsofhomes/homes.php

Does this all make sense.. at tomstmpdomain.com an instant redirect will occur to the physical landing page... should not even be noticable..

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Looks ok to me, Tom. tomsdomain.com is both in the display URL and on the final page, after the redirect.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.