AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Is It Possible to Target only @gmail.com Users?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'd like to show my ads only to people that use @gmail.com for their email address (and are, presumably, logged in to Google at the time my ad is shown). 

Is this possible?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cooper
September 2015

Re: Is It Possible to Target only @gmail.com Users?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Answering another thread on targeting, it came to my mind, that it might be done using "audience" targeting. But, checking the categories available in "audience", I did not find GMail users category. (A nice idea would be to suggest to add them as a separate category under "audience"targetting.

However, that might be possible using other "ad-networks" platforms. (I'm not sure...). Eventually, this is far beyond the scope of this community, but, as a starting point, try to run a Google search on "ad-networks and RTB" (Real Time Bidding).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

gmail.com is not available for placement targeting but through the Google content network.

You have to opt into the entire content network as gmail is part of the Google content network.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That is helpful to know that I can show ads in Gmail via the Google Content Network.

However, I'm asking about showing ads to Gmail users regardless of what website they are using (eg. not just showing them ads inside Gmail). Placement and Google Content Network targeting let me target by website - I'm interested in targeting by user - is this possible?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

There is no Google Account targeting option as yet.

Perhaps when Google+ matures this might be an option Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Cooper wrote:

That is helpful to know that I can show ads in Gmail via the Google Content Network.

However, I'm asking about showing ads to Gmail users regardless of what website they are using (eg. not just showing them ads inside Gmail). Placement and Google Content Network targeting let me target by website - I'm interested in targeting by user - is this possible?

The other option is 'retargetting' - which specifically re-targets your display ads to users that have visited your website; when they visit other sites.

It is a highly efficient means of targeting individual users with historically higher ROI in comparison to general content network targeting.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cooper
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Answering another thread on targeting, it came to my mind, that it might be done using "audience" targeting. But, checking the categories available in "audience", I did not find GMail users category. (A nice idea would be to suggest to add them as a separate category under "audience"targetting.

However, that might be possible using other "ad-networks" platforms. (I'm not sure...). Eventually, this is far beyond the scope of this community, but, as a starting point, try to run a Google search on "ad-networks and RTB" (Real Time Bidding).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello Cooper,

In order to target only gmail user, you need run a seperate display campaign on managed placements only. 

Add manage placements

• mail.google.com
  • mail.google.com::Inbox,Top center

Note: its not gmail.com, it's mail.google.com

Thanks,

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Neha, @andrio;

Cooper's purpose in is question is different:

He is looking to target (=show ads to ) Gmail users NOT while they are "doing emails on Gmail", but while they are logged into Gmail, and surfing other sites on the web.

See a similar answer of mine to Cooper on another thread.

-Moshe

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi,

Okay. Sorry that i misunderstood the question. 

As per my opinion, it is not possible to show ads on gmail.com login page. Currently, i am logged into gmail & surfing other sites as well & can see ads on my gmail. 

No idea! Please let me know as well how can we target gmail users only & also the benefit of targeting Gmail USERS.

Thanks,

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’