AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Irrational fear of pausing ads?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

On a lot of campaigns I have one of the "optimize for clicks/conversions" options set for ad rotation. I will go back to an ad group later and see that Google has chosen a "winner" for me and that the ad ratios are 80/20, 65/20/15 or something like that. That's fine because I asked Google to optimize for me.

When I start to have issues is when the ad that is only shown <30% of the time or so is performing better in terms of CTR, CPCs, Conv. or all of the above. Should I pause the other ad that has been driving 70-80% of my traffic because the other ad is performing better? Will that affect my QS, which I assume is influenced mostly by the predominate ad? Why would Google clearly prefer one ad, when it doesn't perform as well as the other ads; am I missing something?

Do I have an irrational fear of pausing the ads that Google has chosen as the winner? Thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Irrational fear of pausing ads?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joe - I know the trouble, and generally "solve" it by setting ad rotation to manual, hand-picking the winners.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I support Ivan on that. I rotate evenly.
But, if you rotate by best performing ads ; then there is really no reason tho keep worst performing ads, Furthermore - if you won't pause them, the system will show them so rarely - practically - pausing them.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Moshe, I also keep the best performing ad, but what is the best performing ad? My concern is when Google has chosen (and heavily favors) an ad that does not seem to be performing the best, in terms of CTR, CPCs, Conv. etc. Is what Google chooses the best, or what I see as the best the best?

What complicates things even more, is if the ad that Google chooses is rotated in >80% of the time. Am I going to change my QS or get shown less if I choose an ad that Google has deemed less worthy?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Joe;

>>".... but what is the best performing ad?

The best performing ad should  have  a stsistically significant  better CTR in one ad over another; the same criterion Google applies for Adwords experiments; 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’