AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Invalid clicks from automated clickers on Amazon servers

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Every day I get groups of invalid clicks on my ads from bots on Amazon servers.

The ip addresses are always different but when I look them up they resolve to sub domains of  compute.amazonaws.com

I log all traffic that has a query strings like ?gclid=CLSFsrTn3LYCFUXJtAod-2kAGQ

The clicks coming from the Amazon servers all have unique "gclid" ids and usually come 30 seconds apart though that sometimes varies and they don't look at any other pages on the site and come in bursts of 10s, 20s 30s up to 140

The time they start varies and the IP address varies but are of the form 54. xxx.xxx.xxx,  46. xxx.xxx.xxx, 79. xxx.xxx.xxx

I would have to exclude the new IP addresses every day from all my campaigns as the addresses change every day. It's really not that practical as each IP address only get used once, twice or three times.

Why oh why can't we exclude complete ranges eg 54 .*.*.*  instead of just 54 .228.129.* ??

The number of invalid clicks being filtered by adwords just doesn't match the number of obvious invalid clicks that I am seeing from Amazon's false adwords click robots; and the repayment adjustments aren't matching the discrepancy at the average CPC for the difference.

This is costing a lot of money!

What can I do?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Invalid clicks from automated clickers on Amazon servers

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi thingstodo

Welcome to the AdWords community :-)

That sounds like a very frustrating situation indeed!

I'm including an article about invalid clicks and also how you can request a click investigation from Google-

About invalid traffic

Request a click investigation

I hope this helps you, wishing you the best of luck!

Kind regards

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I have read the "About invalid traffic" before.

And I have made a request for a click investigation but I have not heard anything back as yet.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI thingstodo,

Ok, I'm sure that you will get a response from them soon.

Kind regards

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi thingstodo,

Firstly, this almost certainly isn't Amazon themselves.  The compute.amazonaws.com address is used by a number of Amazon's web services so it is probably a third party merely using their server space, not Amazon themselves.

Are you running Ads on the Display network?

Are you being refunded for any invalid click activity?  You'll need to look in your Billing pages but if you are receiving invalid clicks it's more than likely that Google are actually refunding you for these.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Cobnut,

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I know it's not Amazon themselves, but robot scripts placed on their servers by third parties. (  I use "Amazon" here as a shorthand for "automated scripts on Amazon servers" as those are the IP addresses that I am looking at)

Yes, Ads are running on the display network.

Yes we are being refunded,  but not at a level that matches the invalid clicks coming from the Amazon servers.  I have looked at the Billing pages and compared all the "adjustments" and refunds with the level of clicks coming from Amazon @ the average CPC (over a six week period) and there is a big discrepancy in favour of Google.

I am surprised that they are not getting filtered out straight away as the click pattern is very obviously not genuine.

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you get this resolved ?  I have exactly the same issue ...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Richard,

Yes, I tracked it down to a company who were developing some sort of service that used a robot ("Affectv Robot v1.0/Nutch-1.6") that scanned websites that their clients had viewed. I had to look at the raw log files on the webserver to find the info.

I emailed them and got the following response:

"Thank you for getting in touch with us about the Affectv web crawler. I would like to start by offering my sincere apologies to you and your client for the unintended behaviour of our crawler.

"We maintain the robot you identified in order to crawl the sites that our users browse online, in order to determine users' interests and improve our ad targeting. As part of this process, we schedule the crawler to automatically fetch the most popular URLs from users' browse logs. Unfortunately these URLs may sometimes contain query strings, and triggering Google Adwords click trackers has been an unexpected consequence of fetching those pages, as you mentioned.

I have taken the immediate step of removing all query strings from URLs before they are passed to our crawler, so I can assure you that behaviour will no longer occur."

Once again, thank you very much for bringing this issue to light, and I do apologise again for the inconvenience. If you would like your client's site to be removed from our crawler list entirely, or if you have any questions, please do let me know."

So very apologetic and very helpful. I double checked the gclid's and it turned out that they were all duplicates so they weren't costing anything.

You may be experiencing something similar?

Hope that helps
Mike