AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Interests to target for a travel website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All

I am about to start a display campaign for a travel website with interest targeting and i was confused regarding which interest to target along with travel( lookalike behaviors). also since we are selling packages so i am sure whether i should target complete travel since it contains air travel, cruise category etc. 

please Help.

Thanks 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Interests to target for a travel website?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Rohit,

it is a matter of test what will work for you. My recommendations would be: travel and any other category that has something to do with traveling.

Also do not forget to extract data from Google Analytics. You might notice that you might get the most conversions from people who like traveling, but there can be also some absolutely unexpected categories like movie lovers and so on, who might have almost as many conversions as Travel categories.

Also you can see there categories with highest conversion rate, so I would also try to focus on these.

Alex

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Rohit P;

Travel is a very competitive vertical with relatively high CPC. I would recommend to narrow the targeting audience as much as possible to lower  cost / spend

If the budget is limited I also would consider a Remarketing cmaougn (RLAS or "classic Remarketing) rather a  "display-interests",

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi

Since my company is mostly targeted on travel business I will mention few things we may consider when we are doing a travel related display campaign.

As Moshe mentioned travel is very costly business with high number of competitors. So if you are going to do a display campaign it is very important to understand your target audience correctly. While most of the campaigns expect visibility and reach through display campaigns it is very hard to stay on track in a segment like travel.

I would suggest you to do following.

1. Understand target markets and user segments.
2, See how much you can narrow down the market.
3. Use most specific targeting methods. ( In some cases even we select specific placements ONLY to make sure we get the right reach)
4. Match your KPIs with targeting. ( Eg if you more interested in getting some bookings back consider using something like in market segments)

Hope this helps Smiley Happy