AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Influence of keyword type on ad rank..?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

this has been a topic of some discussion, and i'd like clarity on this:

suppose a user searches for: "holiday package in australia"

and there are two people bidding for this:

Bidder 1:

Keyword: holiday australia (broad match, quality score=8)

Bid : $5

Bidder 2:

Keyword: [holiday package in australia] (exact match, quality score=7)

Bid: $5

whose ad will show up higher? what will the ad ranks be? does the exact match type increase ad rank for the second bidder?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Influence of keyword type on ad rank..?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

I think this video from Google's Chief Economist Hal Varian should explain the scenario you are looking for:

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

no, this is an oversimplified version.

and it doesn't address the question.

clearly, there must be more to it than this video talks about - for example, the relevance between the user's search query and keyword that the advertiser is bidding on, a crucial component, which is not covered in this video

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello mktgboltell,

As you most likely know ad position is determined by ad rank which is based on your quality score and bid. In your scenario Bidder 1 will therefore have their ad shown in a higher position than Bidder 2 due to their bid values being the same and Bidder 1 having a higher quality score. [holiday package in australia] isn't necessarily going to perform better in one account than holiday australia in another so the match type isn't going to be the determining factor here; the broad keyword may have a much better historical CTR in this account than the exact match keyword in the other account for example.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi mktgboltell;

Let me try from a different angle

Ads are ranked based on adrank not based on keyword match types.

Before an and is ranked,  an internal auction (within your account,) takes place  to determine which keywords triggers an ad, the adrank is calculated using the QS and the bid of this keyword (that is triggering the ad)..

The question to remain is: among all keywords in a given  campaign -  which one is chosen to trigger an ad...that's a different  topic.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ouch...Scott is back and we posted at the same minute....Smiley Happy

Now, you have 3 answers  covering the topic from different viewpoints

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@TLVMoshe: exactly!

your last point is close to what i am driving at.

for example, there may be another bidder:

Bidder 3:

Keyword: buy mangoes (QS = 10, match type: broad)

Bid: $5

this keyword is not going to trigger an ad for the search query "holiday package in australia". so clearly there is a step that google does BEFORE calculating the ad rank.

my question is, what is this step?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Different viewpoints but with the same idea Smiley Wink

...yours is just easier to understand Smiley Tongue

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mktgboltell
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@mktgboltell;

All bidders will be competing in an auction only by their  ad ranks. 

The adrank  for each ad is calculated by the keyword that is triggering this ad; For every bidder (account)  a different keyword (or the same keyword with  a different match type) could trigger an ad;

Now, if a bidder has similar keywords (on his account - in different ad-groups or campaigns),   that can trigger an ad (and based on that the ad rank is calculated ) - which one is used;

How similar keywords match to search terms

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi mktgboltell, the answer to your initial question - taken on face value - is actually very simple and it's just as Scott has described.  Since Ad Rank is calculated using bid and Quality Score, if those Quality Scores were calculated as shown, then the broad match would be higher; it's no more complex than that.

However, it's important to understand that Quality Score is calculated for each and every auction, it is not a static thing so you can't actually ever know what the Quality Score for a specific search (auction) is.  The figure shown in your Account is an estimate of that the overall Quality Score for that Keyword, not something fixed that is the same for every search.

So, while a particular Keyword in your Account may show a Quality Score of "7" in the column, the actual QS may well vary from auction to auction.  For one search it could be 9, for another 6 and so on.  It's therefore possible for a Keyword that usually has a poor Quality Score to occassionally have a very good one, which is why Ad positions are also an average, not an absolute.

I'm not sure I understand your last question - buy mangoes is not going to trigger against "holiday package in australia" at all - it's totally irrelevant.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits