AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Increasing Big but No Impressions on Display Network

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So I set up a series of image ads and used a combination of keyword targeting and placement targeting to try and get the ads in front of the eyes of the people I'd most like to connect with for my real estate business.

The ads are approved and I don't currently have any messages saying that they are not being shown for "few page matches" or anything like that but I'm still getting zero impressions.

I've upped the bid from 50 cents to $1.00.  Then yesterday I boosted it to $2.00.  Now today I've upped it to $3.00.

Still nothing.  I've got zero impressions much less the clicks needed to establish an ad rank.

Something seems wrong.  Snooping around seems to indicate that CPC for Display Network clicks starts to max out well under the $2.00 per click.  I don't want to be the only person paying $5.00 per click on the Display Network because I forgot to turn on some obscure setting.

Do I up the bid?  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Increasing Big but No Impressions on Display Network

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning.

Even though the system isn't showing you any warning messages yet, it's true that combining keywords and placement targeting (I can't tell here if you mean managed placements or interest categories) can restrict the list of websites your ads might be eligible to show on. This can be good (more highly targeted placements) or bad (lower volume), depending on what your goals are.

More specific to your immediate situation is the question of how much you need to bid. It's also true that clicks on the display network can be very inexpensive. However, those inexpensive clicks are for text ads.

Display ads tend to be much more expensive and the cost can vary significantly depending on which size of Display ad is being auctioned for a website--the larger the ad spot available for filling, the larger the ad size, the more it costs. (Think of it as real estate--the more real estate an ad takes up on a page, the more it costs. This is more or less true, although not always or in all situations.)

To be honest, I would have been shocked if you'd been able to buy image ad slots on websites for $0.50 or $1.00. I'd have been very surprised if you could buy space for $2. I do know you can buy image ad space for $3.00--but here it gets complicated. Different markets--different "interests" and topics and themes cost differently. Much depends on what you're trying to advertise and how competitive the marketplace is for the appropriate ad slots.

Hope that helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Brian,

I went through a similar situation couple of days ago. This is what I would suggest.

1. Keywords: Are they generic or targetted KW's? Generic KW's will get more impressions vs Product-Brand KW's.
  2. Scheduling: This is the stupidest mistake I made. For some reason (still don't know how) the day "Monday" was removed from scheduling thus my ads would never show on "Monday".
  3. Target and Bid: This option will definitely limit your impressions if you are using RLSA + Placements. I have accidently set this in the past with placements and yielded 0 impressions/cost/clicks because it was set to Target & Bid. Certain placements have issues with the image size etc.. (Change this option to "Bid Only" from "Target and Bid")

That is my checklist for now. If I run across others, then I will post them up. I hope this helps.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the feedback.

The sites targeted are the 3 biggest real estate sites. The keywords are
related to an area of town and you can buy ads from the site directly.
They've told me that the monthly impressions for just one of the three
sites for that area is in excess of 15,000 per month. So it's not that
people are not there consistently each day...especially when that figure is
coming from the smallest of the three sites.

What really blows my mind is that I'm on these real estate sites right now
vising pages in the areas I'd like my ads to show up on and I'm seeing
Remarketing Ads from PPC companies. Remarketing ads for supplements I've
never heard of on Amazon. And ad for a Tracfone. Women's boots and
blouses. *Even an odd ad for some granola bar*.

As Remarketing ads are notorious for being cheaper AND because I can't
imagine some company paying over $3.00 per click to put their ad on a REAL
ESTATE SITE when they are selling granola bars...these people must be
paying less than the amount I'm already bidding and their ads are showing
and mine are not.

Now I'm seeing an ad from YouTube telling me to create a video ad today.
Isn't that an indicator of REMAINDER space where nobody is bidding so
Google shows their own stuff there? Or is YouTube paying more than $3.00
per click to tell me to make videos?

It makes no sense.

I mean, granola bars are not even related to real estate and I've never
been on a site where I've seen these before, so I'm guessing these ads are
NOT remarketing ads.

It's not making sense.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hassaan - thanks for the tips. How do I find the are to change from "Target & Bid" to "Bid Only" now that the campaign is set up?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Okay, I think there are some fundamental misunderstandings going on here.

Remarketing doesn't target websites--that is, the advertiser did not decide to put their "granola bar" ad on a "real estate" website. Remarketing doesn't target websites--it targets datasets of searchers. "People who have visited Website X" might see remarketing ads for Website X's product. People who have not visited Website X will not see remarketing ads. So, let me be clear, I cannot speak to whatever precise ads you are seeing on some website you're viewing. What remarketing ads you might see will not be the same remarketing ads I might see. (Also, it's very difficult to know if you're really seeing remarketing ads and not just ordinary display network ads.)

Also, in general, as I said before, image ads tend to be much more expensive by the click. You asked specifically about your bids and I mentioned that your previous bid levels seemed to me to be much too low to be competitive for space on webpages. The cost to place an ad on a specific website is not set by Google AdWords. The website owner sets the minimum and competition takes over from there. The website owner might, to make up an example, set a threshold of $2.00. Advertisers eager to have their ads displayed on that website then set bids in competition with each other, and the resulting actual cost could be twice that high, depending on the size of the ad and other factors.

And, speaking of other factors, there is more to ad placement than bids. Ad rank is the key factor. In the search network, this is loosely defined as bid x quality score. It's less easy to define on the display network but some kind of quality metric is always vitally important. A high-quality ad (that is, one that is anticipated to receive a larger number of clicks) always has an advantage and pretty much is always able to be competitive for a lower cost-per-click. 

More specifically to your current situation, you might try going to the Keywords tab of your account and hovering your cursor over the diagnostic image ("talk box") in the Status column. It should give you some information about how competitive your keywords are at the moment.

If it were me, I'd also try a couple of different strategies--an Ad Group that targeted my chosen placements but did not use keywords, for instance, since keywords can act in unexpected ways to limit ad placement.

Hope that helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks much for the info Theresa.

What is confusing me is that if the websites can set a minimum bid (which I didn't think they could) then why would a remarketing ad show up there? I know that some of those ads are remarketing because I've been to their sites in the past week. Again, I can't imagine that they would be willing to pay $3.00 or more for a remarketing click on products with such low price points - and if the site admins set the minimum at $2.00 then my ad should get precidence over the remarketing ad.

As to removing keywords, if I only want my ads to show on pages for houses in Lansing, MI and never show on pages for houses in Detroit, MI - how would I achieve that without using keywords?