AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Inclusion or Exclusion for Geo-Target?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I read this article on SearchEngineLand: http://searchengineland.com/adwords-geo-targeting-have-we-all-been-doing-it-wrong-169049

It makes sense, but it's also from 2013 and naturally Adwords evolves continuously, so I'm not sure this is still relevant or not.

Anyway, I give it a go. My CPC went down and conversions went up. BUT clicks went down fairly dramatically, which was the opposite of the experience in the original post. 

I'm based in the UK. I targeted the whole of England and then excluded the areas that we don't current offer services to. So what I was left with, was ultimately the same area we were previously targeting. 

Any ideas why many of the towns that were doing so well, weren't well targeted using this method? They were still included via the England inclusion.

What geo-targeting methods have you had the most success with? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Inclusion or Exclusion for Geo-Target?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey GG,

In AsdWords system, Results always depends on Testing. It means if you perform X then doesn't always get Y as a result.

Just I would like to say, in your case, try to find out all the location report(when it was targeted) that you excluded now and compare that how much clicks were you getting those locations. Hope you will find the answer yourself.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Inclusion or Exclusion for Geo-Target?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

Just a little addition to what my friend @Rakesh Kumar said above, you need to understand that AdWords target the audiences in various ways. One way includes the intent of the query and if that query includes location which you are targeting, but at the sametime user is outside your target location, he/she might also see the ad and take appropriate action. That's why reporting is essential to get a conclusion.

I am not sure if you are using advanced location targeting (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en) or not. But that metric does play a crucial role in getting the relevant traffic and further lead prospects for your website.

And as Rakesh said above, testing is the key. You need to optimize the account continuously and find the right targeting to get higher ROI.

My couple of cents!

Pankaj