AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

In a managed placement campaign on the display network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

If I have a domain lets say google.com on my manged placement campaign in the GDN; now in the same campaign I also want to add google.com/example1 but with a different bid amount.

Firstly, Is it possible? i.e. can I have a sub-url and main url with different bids in the same campaign? And will Google charge me according to the different bids or the main url bid will override?

Thanks 

best

Ali

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: In a managed placement campaign on the display network

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sheikh,

It shouldn't be a problem to use both. My understanding is that Google will prioritize the higher bid, so if you prefer to show on the specific URL, you should bid higher than you do on the full domain. You can also exclude specific pages on the site of there are any that you want to avoid.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sheikh T
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
That's a good question. I believe the home page is viewed as the full domain, so I don't think you can add it as an exclusion if you want to show on different subfolders. I would add it and set the bid to $0.01 and then add the others at their normal bid. If you didn't want to show on abcd.com/example3 (or any other page), you could add them as exclusions.

I could be wrong about the home page, though. If you try adding it as a negative, I'd love to hear if you still get impressions on the other pages.

Sorry I wasn't more help!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sheikh,

It shouldn't be a problem to use both. My understanding is that Google will prioritize the higher bid, so if you prefer to show on the specific URL, you should bid higher than you do on the full domain. You can also exclude specific pages on the site of there are any that you want to avoid.

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi Amy,

Thanks for your reply to the previous question; got it.

I have another question and sorry it is slightly complicated; I hope you would understand what I mean:

if we want to run ads on a few URLs within a domain but want to exclude the rest of the domain as negative. Is that possible on Google?

I mean lets suppose I want to add abcd.com as negative but I want to run ads on abcd.com/example1 and abcd.com/example2; only these 2 sub-domains but no other page from abcd.com Is that possible?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sheikh T
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
That's a good question. I believe the home page is viewed as the full domain, so I don't think you can add it as an exclusion if you want to show on different subfolders. I would add it and set the bid to $0.01 and then add the others at their normal bid. If you didn't want to show on abcd.com/example3 (or any other page), you could add them as exclusions.

I could be wrong about the home page, though. If you try adding it as a negative, I'd love to hear if you still get impressions on the other pages.

Sorry I wasn't more help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Amy,

Thanks, I think that $0.01 idea is kind of simple but effective. It's brilliant actually; it solves the problem though you are right that its better to also test adding a homepage as negative and then adding sub-domains just to be sure.

thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Great! Let me know how that works out!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Amy, I am asking this purely for my own understanding (being a very new Google AdWords user). In the example Sheikh has given above, what if he had simply added abcd.com/example1 & abcd.com/example2 as Targetted Placements and not added abcd.com at all? Would it not have achieved the same purpose?